certification ( VA)

Originally Posted By: ecox1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anyone has any update on virginia certification.

Originally Posted By: dduffy

http://www.state.va.us/dpor/asb_main.htm

Home inspectors are not required to be licensed there?

Earl,

I posted the wrong pdf file.

A friend of mine from Fairfax called me a couple of weeks ago regarding commercial inspections, and sent me some pdf files regarding Virginia law, I was under the impression home inspectors are already required to be certified, but commercial inspections, I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: ddivito

Certification is only voluntary. Around 2/3rds of inspectors in VA are certified at present. There are no pending legislation for licensure.

Join the Virginia Assoc of Real Estate Inspectors (VAREI.org). They were formed when the law was written to protect the intersts of inspectors in the state. Their role now is for education and monitoring legislation that would affect our industry. The membership rises above the trade association wrangling. We are about 100 strong (of the 350 or so that practice HI in VA).

Certification only applies to home inspections. No other types of inspections are addressed.

The regulation as written now qualifies who may hold themselves out to be a "certified home inspector" or perform "certified home inspections". You need to be certified by the state's program.

There is a debate about using a trade association's certification (like NACHI). The regulatory board has no position on this. No court cases have come up that would answer this question.

ddivito wrote:

Certification only applies to home inspections. No other types of inspections are addressed

Thanks for the information Dennis, I was under the impression all home inspectors were required to be certified in VA.

A friend of mine in Fairfax, who is certified wants me to help him in the commercial inspection field there.

I'm flying there before Christmas to meet with him. He claims the real estate market is booming. I was there last year and it sure looked odd with an old farm house sitting in the suburbs with new homes completely surrounding them.

Originally Posted By: ecox1

thanks dennis