Engineered Trusses w/ Blocking

Originally Posted By: hspinnler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/M/Middleton_Inspection_018.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/M/Middleton_Inspection_017.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Hank are you referring to the 2xs that are running perpendicular to the truss or the 2x that is on an angle?

The 2xs that are perpendicular are there because the sheathing runs parallel to the truss. When this is the case, strapping is required.

Originally Posted By: away

Hank,

Off the top of my head I would say no, this is not acceptable. Those 2x's will have little or no load bearing capacity placed flat like that. Especially on the lower end where no truss is apparent.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Thanks fellas. Patrick, can you elaborate on the type and location of the strapping that would be required for the 2x4’s that are placed perpendicular to the sheathing? The trusses ran lengthways along the sheathing and it is true, the 2x4’s can’t really be real supportive at all. Are we talking metal gussetts to attached the 2x4’s to the trusses? Please elaborate.

Regards,

Hank

Originally Posted By: pdacey

When the trusses and sheathing are parallel to one another there needs to be strapping added to provide a nailing surface for the sheathing. The strapping is usually installed laying flat on top of the trusses. The truss provides the structural stability, the 2x strapping is just a nailing surface for the sheathing, plus it helps hold the trusses in place during framing. I see it all the time here. I’ll try to find a picture and post it.

One thing I noticed though in your pictures that I did not pick up the first time, the 2x strapping appears to have a bevel cut on the ends. I don't know why they would do that. Normally it is just installed on top of the truss in full thickness.

Patrick, so if the strapping was resting perpendicular to and directly on top of the trusses, this would be allowable? It seem that they had to add the strapping afterwards perhaps, and they thought to bevel the 2x’s in order to wedge it into the gap on the high side. Let me know if you can dig up the pic. Thank you very much for your replies.

Hank

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

Excuse my ignorance. Are we looking at a ridge board with standard icon_question.gif framed rafters to the left and some sort of truss to the right? How do these trusses work? It doesnt seem this truss would hold anything up?

It appears the sheathing is running perpendicular not parallel to the truss.

never seen this before.

Yes, you we do have a front gable section that has rafters to the left. On the right side of the ridge, we have trusses that run parrallel to the ridge while the blocking runs perpendicular to the ridge. The 2x4 blocks are placed flat and were cut into sections and nailed between upper and lower trusses. These do not lay on top of and perpendicular to the trusses. The higher sides are bevel cut to be wedged into the gap on the high sides. The sheathing is nailed to the blocking. It does not look right, but I have not heard anything definitively bad about it. I can recommend an SE take a look at it though and believe I will.

Sorry for the poor grammar. Long day. If anybody can offer up an opinion soon, I’d be grateful.