Flexible dryer vent for venting waer heater?

Originally Posted By: kshepard
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This venting was in a tract home built in mid 2005. Hard to imagine a building inspector walking right past it, but hard to imagine it meets code.

Kent

Originally Posted By: dbowers

If its the light weight metal foil like type that you can poke a ballpoint pen through its obviously wrong. But if its the hard metal (almost like a chimney liner) we see it quite often and is ok (at least in our area).

Originally Posted By: rcallis

It looks like they started with type “B” doublewall pipe and changed to the flex pipe. I agree this is wrong. I don’t think the flex is an approved gas vent.

Double wall is required in an unconditioned space and also requires only 1" clearance to combustables. Approved single wall pipe can be used in a conditioned area but requires 6" clearance to combustables.

Is the other vent for a furnace? It looks like "B" vent but it doesn't have the 1" clearance where it goes thru the OSB.

Originally Posted By: rray

That looks like the new Type B flex pipe that is approved in some areas, such as here in San Diego. I am seeing it quite often at the water heater and furnaces in new construction.

Originally Posted By: ekartal5

I have flex metal pipe in my home. It is becoming quite popular.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Steven Brewster

Good reference.

http://www.ventingpipe.com/catalogs/simpson/bvent.pdf[/url]

Steven

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Old code check, but I believe single wall vent not allowed in attic or concealed space

http://www.codecheck.com/pg21_22mechanical.html#flue

Originally Posted By: kshepard

Spoke with a local Bldg. Inspector today. Yes, it is a new approved venting type, obviously thicker than dryer vent. The difference is immediately apparent when you handle it.

Kent

bkelly2 wrote:
Old code check, but I believe single wall vent not allowed in attic or concealed space

It is used quite often for our attic furnaces here, so apparently this specific stuff is approved for attics here.

I wonder if there is a difference between an attic with appliances in it and an attic with no appliances in it.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

What is the clearance requirement to combustibles on this newfangled device?

Quote:

The clearance to combustibles for Dura-Connect is one inch. It may not be used to pass through walls or ceilings, nor may it be placed in attics or crawl spaces. It may be used wherever single wall connector pipe is used.

A little confusing there, though.
First, "it may not . . . be placed in attics."
However, "it may be used wherever single wall connector pipe is used."
Such as in attics here where we have so many furnaces?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Originally Posted By: gmagee

[url]http://www.americanmetalproducts.com/vent/ameriflex/kit.htm

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
8.Ameri-Flex gas vent connector system is tested and
listed by UL for one inch (1?) clearance to
combustibles in an unenclosed installation. Ameri-
Flex vent pipe hangers (VPH) should be used at
each end of a flexible length that is not attached to
a fixed point, i.e. an appliance outlet.

Also, it was interesting to note that the flexible connectors are used to connect the appliance to double wall pipe which penetrates the roof/walls.

In the initial picture, this application appeared to be reversed. The application of this material appears to be intended to connect an appliance to the flue system and provide for vibration/seismic movement and ease of installation. Just as single wall pipe is authorized for indoor applications where excessive exhaust gas condensation will not occur.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

a new or inexperienced inspector had called it out as wrong or improper without knowing what he/she was talking about. This makes the inspector look stupid and puts all the rest of his/her comments under question. It would behoove all inspectors to know what they’re referring to before telling people its wrong.

Originally Posted By: sradabaugh

I guess I got lucky then when I called this out, because it is still installed wrong, although I called it out for both improper installation and flexible dryer vent material

![](upload://rqtsFSHFz3WCruTjFJonCnmf9aq.jpeg)

whew! now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

--
Best Regards,

And Good Inspecting

Preferred Property Inspections

Originally Posted By: dspencer

In my area flex pipe liners are required when a chimney brick is not on an exterior wall.

rray wrote:
bkelly2 wrote:

It is used quite often for our attic furnaces here, so apparently this specific stuff is approved for attics here.

I wonder if there is a difference between an attic with appliances in it and an attic with no appliances in it.

RR I think like you stated earlier the approoved vent is double wall flex or B-vent. That might be what is shown in the picture.

rray wrote:
bkelly2 wrote:

RR I think like you stated earlier the approoved vent is double wall flex or B-vent. That might be what is shown in the picture above.

http://www.jobsitemagazine.com/IMAGES/adfreepp-samplehvacr.pdf