Snowcovered roofs

Originally Posted By: rboyer
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

what is best approach when reporting on snow covered roof, not fully able to view due to snow?

Does anyone offer to come back in spring?

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rboyer wrote:
snow covered roof, not fully able to view due to snow?
?

You got it as above for me and no I do not offer to come back in the spring . I do try and sweep with my car brush a small section if possible .
I tell them how a very small sample looks like .
Make sure you have on your report what the weather is temp ,wind ,speed and direction. Visability .
Roy sr.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Snow?

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

If the entire roof is covered with snow, I would state that I was unable to inspect the roof surfaces due to the snow and that the condition of the roof under the snow is unknown (recommend reinspection of the roof surface after the snow is off). Yes, I would go back in the spring to inspect the roof if I was paid a fee to do it.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

tallen wrote:
Snow?

YEAH. i like to call it "crystal sunshine". only the truly honerable states are blessed with this a few months a year. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Snow and sometime rain etc can show where heat loss is — Some realitors will not show a home when the snow is melted on one part of a roof and not another on the same side of the house

rlb

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

I carry a snow rake with detachable handles. First thing I do is rake several feet of snow off, then lean my ladder there and view from the eves. Try to determine condition/age, number of layers, etc. If its a lower pitch, 4/12 - 6/12, I might still walk the roof to view chimney and vent flashings. Depends. I also let them know that the advantage to winter roof inspections is the abillity to see heat loss areas. Just something some of us have to deal with. icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: twheeler

I don’t think raking snow off a roof surface is a wise thing to do. Whether you happen to damage the shingles or not, the vendor, or even the purchaser can blame you if the roof leaks, even if you didn’t damage any shingles.

I simply state; " Roof was snow covered at the time of the inspection, therefore we were unable to do a visual inspection on the roof covering, however, when roof is free of ice and/or snow, you may contact our office and one of our inspectors will inspect the roof covering for a small fee".

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Agreed!

If the snow needs to be removed, the homeowner should do it or be responsible for it.

Snow-covered roofs are liability due to damage and a safety concern. Both are issues that are acceptable for not inspecting the system.

Simply report the condition correctly, pertinent to the existing condition at the time of inspection.

Originally Posted By: syared

I report the percentage of roof visibility, my reports include pictures so that helps point to where I can’t see a thing. I’ve been reluctant to clear snow since it’s a small representation of the entire roof (could be newer shingles in that sample area or iced over under the snow and I can’t see the shingles anyway)

Originally Posted By: dbowers

be “The roofing, flashings and other accessories were snow covered and not visible at the time of our inspection. Nothing is known of the presence or absence of any defects at this area. We recommend examining this area prior to closing to determine its condition and to determine if any repairs are needed”.

What if the snow is not gone before closing - not my problem. Will I go back - absolutely (for a small fee $75-$100). If the realtor, lender or client is a good friend or uses us a LOT and the house is within 5 miles of my office, I may go back free IF I can do it without setting up a timed appointment and can simply slide it in at my own convenience.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

No need to repeat…

I do as Russell and Tyrone.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

The best way to report on a snow covered roof is very simple.

Live where it doesn't snow! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: pkelley

Smart A** people from those sunshine states eusa_doh.gif

Originally Posted By: lewens

The standard sop up here is to get to the eves and gently brush the snow away from the covering to inspect the condition of the roof covering. This is done in several places around the home and is reported as such. The report also states the amount of roof snow covered and unavailable to view.

Larry

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I will have to agree with Larry, that if the roof is covered with snow, the only thing you should do is examine the eaves off the ladder and also take your binoculars and examine the surroundings to see as much as possible and also go up in the attic to see if any evidence of leakage from ice back-ups is visible. Attic ventilation is a must and any evidence of frost underside of the roof sheathing is usually a give away of insulation or ventilation problems.
The few courses of roofing at the bottom edge of the roof should tell anyone the story of the condition of the roof in general or average.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Looks like this?

![](upload://AaY7Os0zWX2riAUBL0BWpE9N83t.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Chuck,

More like this...
![](upload://2ucNsEVks8S1Ck6N1MhNO3LsYfy.jpeg)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rboyer

Patrick

I agree wtih you, Blaine is a S**** A**, but we don’t have near the number of Nascar hillbillys up north here. Kind of refreshing like the snow.

Thanks for everyones answers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

rboyer wrote:
Patrick
I agree wtih you, Blaine is a S**** A**, but we don't have near the number of Nascar hillbillys up north here. Kind of refreshing like the snow.
Thanks for everyones answers

I've lived my life as a cold smart a$% in the north. I prefer to be a warm smart a$% in the south! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) I do miss the Virginia hillbilly NASCAR accumen, however!