Is this PB pipe?

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/p/pipe1.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Probably PEX

Originally Posted By: smcintire

What he said icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Poly Beutalyne (PB) forgive spelling error.Completely different than Pex.

Check with your local codes admin. for acceptability

http://www.vanguardpipe.com/vanex.html

PEX

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Polybutylene is what you are looking at.

Commonly used from the main to the house.I've used it around here on a few new homes especially if i've had a particularly long run.A little cheaper than copper and more flexible .

www.polybutylene.com/poly.html

I've never seen PEX in any other color than opaque white.It can be used underground and under slabs but not in direct sunlight.
Never heard of it being used for a main.Course I have'nt heard everything.
I have a hundred foot roll of PEX in my basement along with brass fittings, crimp rings,and $100.00 crimping tool .
That ain't PEX. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: lewens

I have never seen blue PB.

Looks like pex to me. I don’t think you can get PB any more.

Larry

Quote:
Vanex Cross-linked Polyethylene (PEX)
Vanex PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) tubing is flexible, durable and proven through more than 20 years of use throughout Europe. Vanex PEX is recommended for use in hot and cold water distribution and hydronic heating systems.

Vanex, white, red, or blue in color, is available in 1/4" through 1" sizes in coils as well as 20 ft. straight lengths and incrementally marked on coils of 500 ft. or greater. Red and blue Vanex PEX tubing offers the benefit of color coding for easy identification of hot and cold lines.

Originally Posted By: tpope

I’d guess it to be PB too. I don’t see where that PEX link shows the main.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

www.ppfahome.org/index.html

www.buildingonline.com/news/viewnews.pl?id=4655&subcategory=37

Homeowners with Polybutylene (PB) Plumbing Could Get Free Replacement

11/16/2005

Homeowners with polybutylene (PB) plumbing inside their homes or outside used for yard service lines may qualify for a free replacement of their plumbing system. For homeowners who purchased their house, mobile home, or multi-family structure after August 12, 2002, this may be the first time they are eligible to participate in this program.

The first step for all homeowners is to inspect their plumbing. PB systems are distinguished by flexible, gray plastic pipes joined by plastic or metal insert fittings held in place by small aluminum or copper bands, a little wider than a man's wedding band. Inside a home, these may be found in the attic, crawl space or water heater closet, often beneath insulation materials. Outside a home, blue, gray or black piping at the water meter or pipe entry site may indicate the presence of a PB yard service line.

Under the terms of the $1.073 billion 1995 Settlement between consumers and PB pipe manufacturers and raw material suppliers, systems that qualify for replacement must have been installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. PB pipe was installed in millions of residential properties in the U.S. beginning in the late 1970s, but should not be confused with PVC or CPVC products, which are rigid and white or off-white plastic.

Since 1995, the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) has replaced over 330,000 plumbing systems for homeowners, but there remain thousands of others who have purchased homes or other properties in the last several years that qualify for the same free replacement benefits.

The CPRC can be reached toll-free at 1-800-392-7591 or online at www.pbpipe.com

Ok I’ll play, where is the crimped ring you would see on PB pipe?

Rich where you able to id the pipe in the house?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Brian, this is a crimp connection between PB and PEX

![](upload://iOzJFulb7w3qMEj44ItVoemUjig.jpeg)

Regards

Gerry

Nice photo Gerry, now where is the crimp in the first photo? icon_confused.gif

tpope wrote:
I'd guess it to be PB too. I don't see where that PEX link shows the main.

http://www.vanguardpipe.com/bruiser.html

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I totally agree…It’s Pex and here are the fittings…

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jrobnett

A friend who owns a plumbing supply said there was nothing wrong with PB, but the failure was the crimp fitting used. If used with the compression connector he says it is ok. Anyone heard of this?

I have seen PB split laterally along the length of the piping. I had an investor that I did a number of inspections for whose profession is biochemist. He would not buy any properties with PB installed so I asked him about why. He told me point blank that the long term effects of chlorine on the PB breaks it down internally and eventually it weakens the sidewalls, until it will split open.

I tried it for myself just to see if it was weaker. I got my hands on some older pieces (at a plumbing course taught locally). It had becomes very stiff and would just snap without much effort. Generally, if the fittings are not installed properly they will leak as well but that is true of copper fittings too. Polyethlene will leak if the fittings are slightly offset or the compression rings get kinked. The old PB fittings were a nightmare. When I went through plumbing school we would go out and do live work. A lot of the work we performed was done replacing PB (and galvanized) supply lines. One thing I have noticed over the years, that whenever I do a mobile home which 99 times out of 100 will have PB piping, I will very often located an RP valve somewhere under the home where the water enters the bottom of the house. Typically I find the pressure has been reduced way down to about 40 psi. Tells me that the owners may have had some issues with splitting pipes in the past as I don’t think the mobile homes comes with a Pressure Reducing valve from the factory.

All piping materials fail. I have yet to see plumbers looking for work, why, because plumbing and piping fail. My current house has PB pipe, the last quote I got to re-plumb the entire house was about $5,500.

Now far be it for me to talk someone in to buying a house because they do not like the piping material. But with the known PB track record it would seem to be just another negotiating point in the real estate transaction.

Originally Posted By: tallen

rchoreyii wrote:
Is this PB pipe and is it still allowed to be used in supply lines to homes. This is from the main water meter to the home. Home was built 2003. The pipe is blue.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/p/pipe1.jpg ]

I have this same pipe installed at my home from the meter to the first valve, all under ground. I have had a lot of problems with it splitting.
The plumbers around here call it "Blue Max" and it was in use in the 80's 90's.
It is no longer allowed ( around here at least). It might be PEX, but it is crap, (at least for under ground use), and in my area I right it up as being a potential problem.
I have never seen this type of pipe anywhere except from the meter to the first valve.