Can someone help this homeowner with insulbrick question.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Quote:
We are buying an old farmhouse with that awful siding on it that mimics brickwork. You know, the brown stuff nailed up in big sheets on the sides of the house. Please tell me that it is only asphalt and not asbestos. Thanks.

The material you describe is an asphalt impregnated felt with a mineral surface made to look like brick. Also known as Insulbrick. It is usually handled as a non-asbestos material. It may contain asbestos, but the asphalt encapsulates any fiber during manufacture, and it is not likely released during normal removal. A bulk sample (small piece that includes the entire matrix felt and surface) can be taken to a local analytical lab for PLM analysis. That will cost about $25 to $35 and will answer your immediate question.

However, I have seen a different product using the same name. The product I saw was a foam form system filled with concrete to create walls for homes.......

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: lewens

Insul brick

This is basically tentest substrate with a ashphalt shingle material on the surface to mimic brick. As an insulator it probably R3 as a siding, it is time to replace the stuff. It is not a good idea to cover it up, it should be removed prior to residing. It is too bad you live in LA as we could use some more for teaching purposes.

Larry

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

From a past discussion.

http://nachi.bz/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=8610&start=0&sid=498a6b4f9ef884a05ef83c1d6ded5604

Originally Posted By: mthomas2

One thing about Insulbrick: each panel (about 24x36") is generally held on with 4-6 nails, so it usually comes off without much damage to the underlying surface.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

. This is a link to their search engine. search by: Insulated Brick

http://www.bia.org/html/frmset_thnt.htm

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

My father had this siding on the garage in back of the house when I was a kid. 1960
He always told me he built the house when he got married in 1938.
I can't imagine that some of this material is still alive.

This link might help identify.

http://www.lestercat.net/house_03/archives/2005/08/ghetto_brick.php

Hope this helps.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Marcel, ghetto brick?? that’s too funny. icon_cool.gif