clicking noise

Originally Posted By: Martin Israel
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a shower. When the water is ran(hot or cold) there is a clicking sound in the floor around the toilet, which is on the other side of the wall from the shower plumbing. Are the pipes expanding? And why did this noise start only a year ago. House is two years old.

Thanks,

Martin

Originally Posted By: Jeffrey Fox

i would have to think that maybe a pipe clamp come lose and the pipes are rubbing. Just my educated guess.

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Martin,

It's difficult to diagnose without hearing the actual sound. Can you give us any more clues? Is the start and stop of the sound immediate with the valves being turned on and off? Is it constant or does it come and go? Is there a pulsating shower head involved?

My guess would be that it may be related to "water hammer" (pulsating pressure) in the pipes possibly manifesting itself by clicking pipes together as suggested by Jeff. Usually heard as water is turned on or off but noise subsides as pressure equals out in pipes.

The year time delay could be accounted for by the pipes working loose and also the air chambers filling with water over time. Try draining the water system to get air back into the chambers and see if that has any affect.

Just some thoughts! If this doesn't seem to be the problem we might want look at the drainage side of the system.

--
Russ Meyers

The clicking noise doesn’t start until the water is shut off and starts to drain. It subsides as the water drains out, and stops as soon as the water is gone. Thanks for all your help.

Martin

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Izzy,

I have to agree with the other posts it sounds like the waste pipe is touching a joist underneath and what you are hearing is the pipe moving against the joint either due to the weight off water or thermal expansion in the pipe. I think it sounds like clicking as it has just enough friction so that it is sticking slightly and as the pressure/weight increases is moves a small amount.

Gerry

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Izzy,

Could also be possible venting problem with the drain system causing water in the trap to be "sucking air". Try checking the vent stack for obstructions.

A few weeks ago I had a long (30') run on an 1-1/2" drain line that was sagging and holding water. When additional water was run through the line it would cause a vacuum on the down side of some improperly vented traps that caused a gurgling and clicking sound of sorts.

Also, never rule out the "strange object down toilet or vent stack"! These come with some very interesting explanations, (if you can find anyone to accept responsibility), like "When it disappeared, I just assumed it went on through." ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Just some additional thoughts on the waste side!

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Could also be something flushed down the toilet (that shouldna’ been) and is being moved by the water but is stuck in the line. In plumbing, stranger things have happened.

Bob

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Martin Israel