Quality of trim work.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a year old house this morning where the trim work was of questionable quality. Big gaps in moldings, base molding not long enough, etc. I wrote in my report that there was trim work that needed attention due to poor fitting, but was primarily cosmetic. As inspectors, are we supposed to call out difficiencies?

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: Bill Emelander

Ed,

I generally won’t report cosmetic problems but I would bring it to your clients attention. Good luck hope things are well on the lake shore.

Bill

Originally Posted By: dbush

Ed, not worth writing, but worth mentioning to your client that the trim was of sub-standard workmanship.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: adufresne

Dave,

If you are ever in Virginia, look me up, we can go inspect a house together and check out the trim. We will drive the clients nuts seeing we

almost have the same name.

Armand, Quality home Inspection Services.

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Ed,

I don't typically comment on sloppy cuts and miters since a sloppy trim carpenter will usually leave behind enough other issues to report on, like misaligned doors and hardware.

If the same crew did the framing there will probably be issues to watch for there as well. If they don't know how to cut a miter, they probably don't know how to frame a hip!

Generally I look at the sloppy workmanship as a red flag that indicates the overall craftsmanship likely to be found in other areas of the house. If the GC accepts poor quality trim work that the customer can see, what corners have they cut in areas that are hidden and not readily seen by the buyer? (Hence the justification for our existence as: SUPER INSPECTORS!!! ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) )

--
Russ Meyers

Armand, I was stationed in Norfolk for 6 years on two different Aircraft Carriers. I lived in Virginia Beach up by Salem Middle School & Salem High School. Often times wish I still did, until I remember the traffic. Traffic jam here means that I had to wait through a stop light.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jremas

I will not document crappy trim work as it is aesthetics & not part of the inspection. You might as well document that the decorating sucks. BUT, I do comment (verbally only) to my client about substandard trim work. This does often lead to other tell tale problems. Many a homes are a true “Home Depot Special”. Bottom line, do not write but be kind enough to verbalize it. Let them know you are verbalizing only & it is not part of your report. They will appreciate it.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Jeff, I have managed to hold my tongue a few times instead of asking what the hell were they thinking when they did that. Although I did an inspection for my brother the other day and I did tell him that, but he said it about the same time.

Dave Bush

MAB Member