Shopping List

Originally Posted By: sfrank
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ok Gentlemen, I’m ready to order my gadgets for my new biz. Please review and comment on things I missed, things on the list I won’t use, bad things, good things, better things, you get the picture icon_lol.gif

I would like to take advantage of your trials and tribulations so I can hopefully create some new ones for myself.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

Scott

Gas detector, TIF 8800A
Powder Puffer
Etcon GFCI testor
Delmhorst BD-2100, moisture meter
Pen style hygrometer
Carbon monoxide detective (by UEI)
Comprehensive water gauge (TORO)
Multi tool (mirror, match holder)
Pocket thermometer (by TPI)
RLD-10 Refrigerant leak detector
Smoke alarm tester

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Flashlight

Backup flashlight

Backup to backup flashlight

Slippers

http://www.nachi.org/spectoscope.htm

I don't much like the smoke alarm testers.

Nick

Thanks Nick icon_exclaim.gif I actually do have three flashlights, a C cell maglite, rechargeable 18v Dewalt, and a 500,000 cp spot light. I never thought about slippers though Are they for my coffee break

What about those slip on shoe covers like the cable company wears when they come to your house, are they any good

Has anyone ever bought a spectorscope I always see you pushing them but I really don't know what I would use it for.

Why don't you like smoke alarm testers

Scott

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Scott,

Screwdriver. Actually have a huge assortment of screwdrivers, nutdrivers, squaredrive,etc. You name the fastener and you will have to remove it at some time. Don't forget hammer, prybar, etc. for going in the crawlspaces that no one else has been inside in 20 years. And coveralls for the really fun crawlspaces

Ladders

The slip-on shoe covers work well when a homeowner asks you to take off your shoes.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Scott

I would certainly add to your list a small electric screw driver to use with Neal’s multiple screw driver nut driver kit, it takes a huge amount of time to remove pannel covers with 2" screws when you only have a standard screwdriver. I use a 2.4 volt milwalke but also have a $7:00 (from home depot) ryobi as a back up.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Thanks Gerry, great idea. I’ll add it to my list icon_smile.gif

Scott

are my hard hat, tyvec suits, leather gloves, eye protection and face mask. I would recommend that you buy lower grade inspection tools than you are looking at, but buy the best saftey gear and ladders that you can afford.

Remember "practice safe Inspections"

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Scott:

If you work in areas like Philadelphia where there are row homes, some roofs are pretty hard to inspect without a scope. Lots of flat roofs, surrounded by steep slate, 3 stories up. You can borrow a spectoscope for free (just pay shipping both ways) from NACHI.

Did you mean that smoke spray for testing alarms or some other kind of tester? I hate that smoke stuff.

They make some nice slip-ons that appear more professional than pink bedroom slippers. Cable repairmen use them. I had a guy that worked for me who liked the pink slippers but that's another story.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Scott,

Black and Decker makes a good 2.4 volt screwdriver in their versa pack line. The one I have actually tilts to make those tight spaces easier to get into. I think it was only around $30 and comes with a wide assortment of bits, phillips, straight, square and hex.

Joe Myers

Well Neal, Gerry, Nick and Joe,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have all the small stuff like screwdrivers, pry bars, ladders etc. I am more concerned with the specialty items needed for Home Inspectors and whether I have made good choices or not.

Nick, I was referring to the smoke in a can for the smoke detectors, should I not use it ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) I think I will pass on the pink bedroom slippers, just not my style

Some of the items you guys mentioned that I already have, I would never have thought I would need to do an inspection, thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to throw them in my bag of tricks

Scott

Scott:

I never liked the can of smoke stuff because most smoke detector manufacturers offer instructions on how to test their products. Most of course go as far as giving us a big red TEST button. I just don't like veering from those instructions and was always worried that it would be announced that the smoke spray causes detectors to malfunction. I remember 2 distributors including Professional Equipment quit carrying the stuff for a while, at about the same time. I hope someone who knows more than me has something to add.

Nick

test the smoke particle sensor, to do that you need smoke icon_exclaim.gif now here is the really interesting thing: when you convey a home here in Massachusetts part of the documentation that you have to provided is a “fire certificate” issued by the City or County Fire Marshall, and how do they test the smoke detectors ? They carry a long stick with them so they can push the test buttons without over exerting themselves, so you have to ask yourself… what the heck is the value of that ?

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Gerry,

Are the "High-tech" gadgets in your tool box the absolute bare minimum you'd recomend a small budgeted new inspector start out with? Or would it be more feasable to work up to all this equipment.

Bill

Gerry:

Where do you get the smoke? (the kind you use on an inspection, not the smoke you use later that evening)

Nick

Hi Bill

I think the tools you need to start out with in this business are a matter of choice, I know many veteran inspectors who only carry a couple of screw drivers and a flash light, personally I like to be as well armed as possible for 2 reasons, firstly the better your tools the easier it is to find issues that should be further evaluated by a licensed proffesional (self protection). Secondly I am a bit of a Toolman Tim and like gadgets, also so do customers, having equipment that clients by an large did not even know existed tends to impress them and give them more confidence in the services that you are providing.

BTW, I did not spend big money on my gear most of what you see there was bought at an average 50% off buy carefull buying, EBAY is a wonderfull thing icon_cool.gif

Regards

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Thanks Gerry,

I agree with you on those points. I too am a tool and gadget freak... ask my wife... I will have to research ebay a little more, I just don't like not being able touch/feel/try before I buy.

Bill

Hi Bill, I have never (yet) had a problem with my ebay transactions I’ve bought about 30 items in the last year, however I only buy from vendors with 99% plus positive feed back and very seldom to I buy from private indeviduals with liitle feedback. My latest find tonight is a “kane-may sga91” together with a “uei c100” combustion analyser all in fitted cae in “new condition” just grabbed it with buy it now for $150:00. tht little package is $700:00 retail. Cool toy icon_cool.gif

Regards

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Hi Joe. I am pretty please to have snagged that one I had been looking for something in that line for the last 6 months. I have to admit to spending way too much time looking at E-Bay, also I have some pretty specific searches programed into their search engine which notify me when new items appear, also I did a lot of research into both current and recent products last winter so I could make fast disisions when items came up, the deal I just got was only available for 1 Hour before I bought it, I still cannot belive he had such a silly low buy it now on it. Anyway enough of my secrets icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif here’s the goodies

[img] http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/km&uei.jpg [/img]

regards

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

out on inspections with you, him and is Marlboro’s should be able to test every detecor in the house very quickly icon_lol.gif

Regards

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466