Let's put dryer lint to good use

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/laundry01.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/laundry02.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: prand

No, seriously, you made that up. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: tallen

eusa_doh.gif

RR you win this weeks prize. That is one of the craziest things I have ever seen.

So, basically, Paul, you are as amazed as we were. We laughed all the way back to the office, and we’re still laughing. And I think we’ll be laughing 'till a Democrat becomes President.

But don't you agree that his reasoning was good? I mean, lint is highly flammable, so it stands to reason that it should burn pretty good and cut down on gas usage at the water heater.

The things homeowners will do. Sheesh.

Originally Posted By: prand

did you check the charge on the extinguisher to see if it had been used any? lol

Originally Posted By: pdacey

icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

I can't believe the exhaust from the dryer wasn't constantly blowing out the pilot on the WH.

Absolutely amazing.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

We couldn’t quit laughing long enough to do much else after we saw this. Fortunately, the water heater is one of the last things we inspect (we like to run the faucets to make the water heater fire up and run for a little while before we inspect it) so I don’t think we missed too much while we were laughing.

Ooooooops. I just remembered that we forgot to walk the roof. Oh, wait. Nevermind. One of my employees just told me that we don't walk roofs. Good. Okay. I don't think we missed anything. However, I'll have to write the report later because we're still laughing too much.

pdacey wrote:
I can't believe the exhaust from the dryer wasn't constantly blowing out the pilot on the WH.

I think that's fairly easy to explain. Ms. Seller washed first. Therefore, the hot water was all used up. Therefore, there was a big flame at the water heater, heating up cold water, when the dryer started blowing lint to it.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

That’s a classic!!! icon_lol.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rwashington

that gets my nomination for pic of year.

BTW the T&P line terminating in the mop bucket comes in a close second.

--
Richard W Washington
www.rwhomeinspections.com

rwashington wrote:
the T&P line terminating in the mop bucket comes in a close second.

I don't like the mop bucket?I prefer a metal pail?but that's my standard recommendation for the drain pipe there. I prefer to see if water is being discharged through the drain pipe since that would indicate that the relief valve has operated, which would indicate that there is a problem with the water heater. About half the water heaters here are in the garage with the drain pipe 6-12 inches above the floor at the base of the water heater. The other half? Those pipes go anywhere and everywhere, not good in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

I get it so in a sense he was try to make an induced draft vent system. LOL

What good would a fire extinguisher be that close to a fire source? LOL

Great pic's Russel, Thanks for sharing.

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Pluses and minuses of that installation (my gawd, RR, that is a “keeper” photo).

Pluses:

- Dryer combustion air goes up water heater combustion air vent.
- do not need to figure both appliances into the "confined space" calculation
- dryer lint is wet when it gets blown in there
- dryer lint dries out, adding combustion source material to make up for the restricted combustion air
- no backdrafting when dryer it operating

Minuses:

- dryer combustion air tries to both blow out the water heater pilot and snuff it out with lack of oxygen
- dryer combustion air tries to both
- dryer lint is wet when it gets blown in there
- dryer lint dries out while in the burner area adding combustion source material in water heater burner area AND vent
- think 'chimney fire' waiting to happen

'Well, dang it Billy Bob, there's GOT to be a way to git rid of this dryer heat. Got any ideas?'

'Dang nab it, shoulda thought of that meself.'

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jpeck wrote:
think 'chimney fire' waiting to happen

That's what that thar fahr stinguisher is fahr, Bubba.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

rray wrote:
jpeck wrote:
think 'chimney fire' waiting to happen

That's what that thar fahr stinguisher is fahr, Bubba.

Yall get a chimney fahr and tain't no way youse guys goin' git me near that thar stinguisher. Gottsa moov dat to da udder side da rhom.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Well besides the fire hazard I would think the forced draft would force carbon monoxide out the gap between the top of the water heater and it’s flue.

Bob Badger

Electrical Construction & Maintenance

Moderator at ECN

I think the moisture from the dryer vent (H2O) combines with the carbon monoxide (CO) to create H2CO2, some sort of carbonate molecule (?), which should just turn into paste, I suppose. Maybe it makes a good glue.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Russel R.

What was hidden in the box below the water heater. (a lot of weight for a smiple box design). I'm guessing the gas meter? I don't see any drip-legs on the water heater gas hook up. Did I miss it somewhere. Pictures are so hard to evaluate. Also looks as though there may have been moisture problems in the past. (Note wall in the foreground behind the brooms). Looks like either a patch job or very poor water proofing application.

Hey, John.

The "box below the water heater" is simply the 18" platform for garage location.

I didn't see a drip leg on the gas either, and I never have here in San Diego. Thus, I don't call it out (I'm sure someone is going to beat me up for that one). Perhaps the next time Mr. Plumber visits me, I'll ask him why we apparently don't do that in San Diego. I did read somewhere a couple of years ago (perhaps inspectionnews.com) that some areas of the country don't require the drip leg because of the quality of the natural gas being used.

The garage is a finished garage, but a very poorly finished garage. It's obvious that it was, at one time, an unfinished garage. That's the apparent patch job that you see.

My two employees who did not have the opportunity to inspect this house with me think that I created the photo in PhotoShop. Fortunately, I have too many witnesses (like one other employee, two Realtors, a buyer, and a seller), not to mention the fact that the picture went in the report, hopefully for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I would also write up that there is no drain pan and drainline below the unit. If it were to leak, it would cause damage to the surrounding structure.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com