Welcome to NACHI Education

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all users.

The purpose of this shiny new topic area is for members to discuss the various Training opportunities that are out there to part both new & experienced inspectors from their hard earned money. I hope that those of you who have had formal training, can explain the pro's & con's of the training that you got, and that new members and visitors who are looking at this area can get some feedback on their enquiries. Also this forum will serve as the front office for want of a better term for the Education Committee.

I look forward to your inputs

And a thanks to Chris Morell, for making all things weird and wonderful happen icon_smile.gif

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

What an excellent idea! I would think that inspectors should fill these pages with the best and the most cost effective education that is available to us.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: JohnDavid

Hello and thank you ‘Home Inspectors’ for offering a great site to find out about various educational programs.

I have not yet signed with anyone but as a side menu I would appreciate any input about the Carson Dunlop Home Study program offered through their office in Ontario Canada.

Regards
John Byrne
Mt Forest
Ontario
Canada

Hi John

I for one believe that Carson Dunlop have arguably the best inspection training products out there, we use their illustrated home series in our own "tip of the day" series. I have not spoken with anyone who has done their in-house training, but I would be surprised to hear that it was anything other than first rate.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Gerry;

As one who would know I thank you for your professional opinion and remarks. You have solidified my thoughts about this firm and their educational study program.

Regards
John Byrne
Mt FOrest
Ontario

Originally Posted By: Jeff Rice

Hi, I too am looking into HI training, home study vs. classes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have passed the on line test twice and the ethics quiz. I plan on joining NACHI as funds permit.

My background is mechanical maintenance, industrial maintenance and construction/remodeling.( I have read posts where some wanted to know poster’s background)

Anyway, seems hard to decide between all the choices. It’s my hard earned money, and I want to spend enough of it to get a quality education without feeling taken.

I hope to someday add to the ranks of qualified inspectors and will not go solo until I am. icon_confused.gif

Thanks for everyones time on this.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

There are about 10 free mini on-line courses at http://www.certainteed.com/bldgsolutions/bspd00001.html There is not as much corporate bias as one might expect from such a site. Fairly indepth but of course subject mater is limited to the product classes of CertainTeed. All-in-all, a good course to take especially considering the price - FREE icon_biggrin.gif

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Hi Jeff and welcome to Nachi,

I would recomend to anyone that classes are far preferable to at home study, if they are available in your area, with home study you miss the class interactions in terms of Q&A sessions, and the instructors asides and war stories.

That is not to say that all home study courses are bad, but there are some courses out there that are just not value for money, and do not go into enough depth. Jeff if you like e-mail me direct at education@nachi.org with your options and I'll try to advise.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: dmullen2

JohnDavid wrote:
Hello and thank you 'Home Inspectors' for offering a great site to find out about various educational programs.

I have not yet signed with anyone but as a side menu I would appreciate any input about the Carson Dunlop Home Study program offered through their office in Ontario Canada.

Regards
John Byrne
Mt Forest
Ontario
Canada

Hi John:

Carson-Dunlop's offering is actually quite good. Although there are a number of mistakes in their courses (or at least there were a few years ago when I took them), the material is otherwise quite well laid out and contains lots of good information.
The course need real pictures. Although the included drawings are good, they just don't show what a neophyte needs to truly identify and understand certain systems.
The real weakness is the testing. Unfortunately, it too contains many errors plus the simple fact that you can look up answers while writing the test almost nullifies their usefullness.
However, to put this into perspective, you should know that I spent over a quarter of a century in the classroom as an educator so I tend to be somewhat hard on most tests and their developers as well designed tests are very scarce.
However, as stated, Carson-Dunlop have put together a very good course.

Dale

Thanks for your comments guys;

I have committed to the Carson Dunlop Home Study system and merely await the arrival of materials.

I will use this and other sites to gleen information as a make up for any shortfalls of the CD program.
Again, thank you.

Regards
John Byrne
Ontario
Canada

Originally Posted By: dbowers

There are some really good home study materials out there (like the Carson & Dunlop Books), but the bottom line is they just don’t substitute for classroom training with its hands-on experience and teacher/student interaction. I’ve done HI’s for 26 years and taught training classes for other inspectors and National Associations like NAHI, ASHI, FHA, etc.

Bottom line - home study is good for some things but if you're serious about the profession put your money into a good on-site course.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)

Originally Posted By: scampbell

I have had the Carson Dunlap materials for two years and use them frequently and think they are wonderful. I have all the text books and the complete video series. I have also benefited on a 1 week onsite program based in CT. I found to be a great way to enter the business. I did however have the benefit of having 5 years of new commercial and residential construction as a background.

To any new guys entering the business insurance inspections are also a way to get a good hands on type of training while actually getting paid for it. Their not quite as invasive but a good way to sure the foundation of inspection principles.

Originally Posted By: John Fasano

I am considering purchasing a franchise from A PRO and going through their in house training program. Does anyone have experience with A PRO or know of the quality their training. Any input about their franchises would be appreciated as well.

Thank you,

John

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

I’m having trouble signing in on the Continuing Education Log. Any suggestions. Maybe I’m not using the right password. I just don’t know. Can someone please look into this.

I can’t find the continuing education log. I had it before and entered a bunch of stuff. Now I have another entry but can’t find the link to the log icon_cry.gif

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

the last link to the left on any page is “members log in”. click on that, log in and you’ll find the continuing education log.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

hi to all,

Guys it is even easier than that now, if you are on the forum index page just above the forums are 3 links, one to our events callendar, one to the picture gallery, and another that takes you straight into the education log.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry,

Where were you back on April 15th (tax day) when I needed you on this problem. What a tough day it was. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Thanks for looking into this.

Hi John,

Damn you Sir you got me thinking again, icon_lol.gif I will talk to Chris about the possibility of adding a couple of extra fields to the log, one which shows the cost of the course and another that reflects the total expence accosiated with the course for tax purposes. that way a member not only keeps track of the Cont Ed but also can easily find all the details at tax time.

It is much easier to do it that way through the log than to be chasing around at tax time to try to remeber what you did and what it cost, as all education expenditure is of cause tax deductable icon_wink.gif

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

eusa_doh.gif There it was. Thanks guys.

Paul Hinsperger
here !