New article on carbon monoxide poisoning and detectors

Carbon monoxide (CO) is such a fearsome poison because it has no odor and it can enter almost any home. Also, CO poisoning is difficult to diagnose because many of the symptoms of low- to mid-level exposure mimic a large array of other ailments, such as the flu. The gas forms from malfunctioning combustion appliances such as generators and furnaces. The vast majority of exposures do not result in permanent injury, although temporary ailments, such as headaches and nausea may result. The best defense against CO is strategic placement of CO detectors. To find out more about detector placement, CO dangers and sources, check out our new article on carbon monoxide.

New article on central humidifiers

Many homes are equipped with central humidifiers, which are devices hardwired into the home’s heating and plumbing systems so that the indoor air stays moist and comfortable during the dry winter months. Inspectors and homeowners should be aware that under the right conditions, humidifiers can introduce dangerous bacteria into the air. They can also cause condensation to form on cold surfaces, such as windows and walls, contributing to wood rot and the growth of mold. In order to prevent these things from happening, the humidistat must be adjusted daily and the humidifier cleaned out as needed. To find out more, take a look at our new article about central humidifiers.