Can/ or should detached garages be included in lineal footage calculations for roof

Can/ or should detached garages be included in lineal footage calculations for roof types. If so I would like an idea where this approached is justified-listed on an approved course etc. I am doing battle with an underwriter.
thanks,
Rob

I never include the detached garage in the roof shape calculation. It has to be completely detached though. If it has a covered walkway to the garage, and the roof is structurally attached, then all would be included with the main house roof.

What if you wanted to-any reason you can or cannot?

BTW the garage in question is not attached at all

You can’t just include the garage if it will make the outcome beneficial to the policyholder - that’s fraud. Usually the detached garage will not be included in the main policy, only as an endorsement.

Do you remember seeing this stipulation in a course? I am looking for evidence not customs. Its only fraud if it is indeed wrong to do.

I will attempt to determine if the garage is included in the main policy but in the meantime this is a pretty straightforward question. I am surprised it is not spelled out somewhere in internetville or at least where I can find.

And I gave you a straight forward answer…don’t include it. All courses teach that there is only one roof perimeter to determine the roof shape. Each building has its own roof perimeter and you cannot combine the roof shapes on one 1802 form. The detached garage would have its own 1802 completed if needed.

Thanks for your time Bradley-seems logical.

If it is not attached at all, it ins’t part of the structure.

It is only fraud if the additional lineal footage benefits the homeowner. If it benefits the insurance company, it is not considered fraud.

The policyholder is the homeowner or applicant. I said that…

Huh…what? :stuck_out_tongue:

If it benefits the insurance company it is fraudulent as it shouldn’t be included in either scenario, right? What is good for the goose…

Apparently, a bad attempt a humor on my part while trying to demonstrate the absurdity of the insurance scheme we have in Florida. Unfortunately, I would speculate, there are many insurance companies that would totally support my previous post.

You need to add the smiley…:smiley:
I know what you meant… :wink:

It does not matter if it is included in the policy. The house is what the HOUSE is. If it is detached, do not include it.

I did not bother reading any other responses so forgive me if I repeat what was said, but if detached then it is detached and is NOT part of the roof :slight_smile:

Just because it is detached does not mean its some kind of bastard stepchild. It is still legally in many ways part of the structure. Now that there additional people trolling this-I challenge-no-beg anyone to remember a specific prohibition in an approved course against this sort of thing. Detached garages do not have there own insurance policy, and many of them are finished off in the same finery as the structure-tile roofs etc-. I have a adjuster that is challenging the merest sliver of a gable(HEIGHT WISE) in the center of the roof that happens to be about 12% of the soffit line.

Wind mitigation is for the residence only.

1 Like

Rob, whilst it may not be a “Bastard Stepchild” it is NOT part of the building envelope. If something fails on the separate structure it does not effect the integrity of the main structure. (unless it becomes airborne and does collateral damage.) In the same way you do not count the roof of an attached structure, that is only attached at the fascia, you do not count any other buildings.