Arc fault circuit interrupters Fla SOP

I noticed the Florida SOP electrical inspection items includes inspecting Arc fault circuit interrupters.
Do you call it out when they are not present even in older homes.

Thanks
Roy Lewis

Yes, AFCIs should be installed to protect each bedroom

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) breakers are designed to provide fire protection by shutting off current flow should sensors detect arcing in the protected circuit. AFCI protection of electrical outlets in bedrooms rooms is now required in new construction

I added that to my narrative library.

Thanks
Roy Lewis

2008 NEC expanded this to include most rooms in the house, not just the bedrooms.

I still see old blue-tab Square-D GFIC’s which have been recalled and call them out too.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1988/Square-D-Company-Offers-Free-Replacement-Program/

I guess everywhere except where GFCI are required.
Where else ?

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in
dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall
be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide protection of the
branch circuit.

If the code in effect at the time of construction did not require AFCI then don’t call them out as a defect. However, it is perfectly fine to recommend them as a safety enhancement and to be considered. The SOP would be to test them when present.

Paul
That is what I’ve been doing .
Recommendations only .
The code snippet I posted was the 2011 .
That leads me to ask when did it go into effect ?
Thanks for your reply.
Roy Lewis

1999 N.E.C. for original requirements for AFCI protection if I am not mistaken.

I only recommend them because they are not code unless you are building a new home in my state

It was in the 1999 code, and was adopted in 2001-2002 in Broward and Dade if I remember correctly. Palm Beach was earlier, 2000, I think.

I don’t see anything wrong in recommending them, however, I would make sure that it is a recommendation with the notation, “may not be required by the local code when the home was constructed”.

I don’t make that recommendation because if I am going to make that one, shouldn’t I make recommendations on upgrading other portions of the home as well? While we are at it, just knock down every home that is more than 20 years old…sorry…that was the insurance company that hijacked my keyboard. :mrgreen: