Wind Mitigation Question

[size=3]OK, I am so tired of arguing with insurance agents about this, so I will ask you guys. On the Florida Uniform Wind Mitigation Form…
In reference to question #2

Let’s just say the home was built and the roof installed on the new home in the year 1999. The permit was pulled for new roof/construction and was passed by the county in 1999… Letter “A” should be chosen, correct? As you will see below, the criteria for a letter “A” rating states that the roof covering met the FBC at the time of installation “OR” (not and, but OR) has a roofing permit after 3/1/02.

[/size]A. All roof coverings listed above meet the FBC with a FBC or Miami-Dade Product Approval listing current at time of
installation OR have a roofing permit application date on or after 3/1/02 OR the roof is original and built in 2004 or later.

I understand what the insurance industry is ultimately trying to get from this question… Was the roof installed after 3/1/02 to the newer code and was it installed to meet that particular code. However, that is not what the question asks. Therefore, if the roof was permitted and passed the final “at the time of installation”, then the roof was installed to meet the FBC at the time of installation, therefore letter A would apply. Is that not correct?
Thanks for your reply’s and wisdom in this matter,
Scott Barber

What area of the state are you in?

How can you possibly deduce that a 1999 roof was permitted after 03/01/2002 in order to select “A”??? FBC did not start until 03/01/2002. If however, you can show the roof covering is MDCA (with docs), then you can select A or B.

The Fbc with dade approved materials went into effect in 1994 in Miami dade and Broward counties I believe. It was adopted in other areas of the state on 3-1-2002.

Your answer for that question would be C or D. The only exception would be location HVHZ and proof.

There were no FBC approval numbers prior to 03/01/2002, only NOA’s for the HVHZ. For a 1999 roof to get credit, a valid NOA will have to submitted which is tied to that home’s actual roof covering…hard to do sometimes.

1999? Huh - wha?
I’d select B if within the HVHZ.
Otherwise, D.

I did not deduce that the roof was installed in 1999 and met 2001 code… THAT IS NOT WHAT THE QUESTION ASKS! Again, the statement says “at the time of installation” OR adheres to the 2001 FBC.

Pensacola

Why, if the roof were permitted in 1999 and passed the final inspection would the answer be c or d. If is passed inspection, then one would assume it was installed to the FBC “at the time of installation.”

Assumption is not proof

As stated above the FBC (Florida Building Code) was not administered in your area in 1999. So there is no way it could meet that code.

Agreed.
I don’t care if it “passed final inspection” in 1999-2000-2001 etc, whenever, the application date of the permit (1999) is a fact that is not an assumption.
It is not A.
Les is correct.
No wonder insurance agents argue with you.

yep. How many wind mits have you done already Scott?

Wow, this is scary. Did you not take any of the wind mitigation classes?

It does not meet if installed outside of hvhz in 1999. Go by the permit and the area you are performing the inspection.

Brad, the FBC reference is for product (Shingles) approval code i.e. Wind speed ratings, not the actual installation or the signing off of a permit by the local Building Inspector. There are shingles that were manufactured after 1994 and installed prior to 3/1/02 that meet the FBC approval codes usually found in the HVHC area. Documentation would need to be provided to obtain the credit if you suspect those are the shingles you are inspecting. In Pensacola, you would be best advised to adhere to using the on or after 3/1/02 date, permit number and the date the permit was issued in order to safely check off A on the form.

Sorry, my last post should have been addressed to Scott not Brad.

I said that in post #6…read again, Bob. Only they don’t meet the FBC, however they may meet the 1994 SFBC. No 2001 FBC approval numbers were available until 03/01/2002, only NOA’s for the HVHZ, which may be used elsewhere in the state. Like I said, the OP is confused about what the 1802 is actually asking.:cool:

Calm down Bradley, I said I was sorry that my OP should have been addressed to Scott. That was easily deduced from my reference to Pensacola where Scott is from and not the St Pete area.