CMI requirements compared to other inspection association's in DORA Industry Review.

Certified Master Inspector’s requirements shine compared to other inspection association’s requirements.

Page 8.

So based on this official document, CMI is an InterNACHI designation and is no longer independent as was originally advertised? Based on the way this is written, InterNACHI is now a tiered organization.

Looks that way to me … Roy

[FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1]
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Museo-500][size=4][FONT=Museo-500][size=4] International Association of Certified Home Inspectors
[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT] InterNACHI offers two certifications: certified master inspector and certified
professional inspector.
To become a certified master inspector, a candidate is required to:
[FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1]25[/size][/FONT]
[/size][/FONT] ������
Have completed 1,000 fee-paid inspections and/or hours of education

(combined);
������
Have been in the inspection business for at least three years;

������
Agree to abide by the code of ethics;

������
Agree to periodic criminal background checks; and

������
Submit the application and one-time fee ($2,500).

In order to become a certified professional inspector, a candidate is required to pass
the InterNACHI online inspector examination and pass both the online code of ethics
and standards of practice courses.
[FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1]26[/size][/FONT]
[/size][/FONT] Additionally, candidates who have never completed fee-paid inspections are required
to submit four mock inspection reports to InterNACHI’s Report Review Committee.
[FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1]27[/size][/FONT]
[/size][/FONT] Certified professional inspectors, among other things, are required to complete 24
continuing education units per year.
[FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1]21 [/size][/FONT][FONT=TrebuchetMS][size=1]The National Association of Home Inspectors.
[/size][/FONT]

Gee Mr. Wilson, that sounds kinda like ASHI.

Please provide a link and proof that proves all that is required by the CMI board is a signature and money to become a CMI.

No link, no proof, and your post will be ignored.

Please provide proof that the CMI board will not ban anyone who is found lying regarding their qualifications or ethics. (and yes they will be banned and it has already happened).

Please provide proof of one CMI that is lying and proof that they should be banned. You guys make it sound like the ranks of CMI are filled with liars.

It’s easy to make claims without proof.

Now… post one inspection report and prove it is really yours and not a copy of someone elses. Provide proof you did not miss anything and did your inspection properly with no mistakes. Prove you have been in business more than 3 years with something more than what CMI requires. Provide proof of all your education and experience that you say should be done. Provide us with a solution, not just empty chatter. Show the right way to do it. Just don’t tell us, show us.

This came up a lot when Alberta was licensed. You could take and pass an authorized course or become a CMI or an RHI through another organization. There has been lots of rumors going around that guys were falsifying their applications to become CMI’s just to forgo the education. This has never been confirmed but there is always some truth to a rumor.

Go ahead and try to fake it and see what happens. It should be easy. Go ahead. Tell us how it goes for you.

When did CMI become an association?

It isn’t. Certified Master Inspector (CMI) is the inspection industry’s highest professional designation (as this government research paper comparing associations/designations concluded). Our work now is to make sure all CMIs are grandfathered in Colorado (similar to what we achieved legislatively in Alberta).

All state HI laws and requirements are worthless, unless you can enforce them, and they never are enforced or monitored. It takes money to do that, and most states do not have any. Ask that question in the next Colorado HI hearing.

True. You really can’t enforce much. Yes, you can mandate that an inspector prove they completed a certain amount of continuing education, but that doesn’t guarantee the inspector remembered what he/she learned or applies what he/she learned.

Most consumer complaints are without merit (licensing does nothing to solve that).
The few valid complaints left are mostly due to inspector complacency, not inspector incompetence.

Licensing allows thousands of newbies fresh out of school to appear to be as competent as existing veteran inspectors. That harms consumers and brings in way more technically weak inspectors than licensing kicks out. I can count on one hand the number of home inspectors who have had their licenses revoked.

Licensing is poison to our industry veterans in that it comoditizes their work product. CMI is the antidote to licensing. And it works.

TREC revokes and fines home inspectors on a regular basis, if a written complaint is filed and the home inspector can be shown guilty of not following the SOP or the COE. This does not even include law suites. TREC publishes it’s actions monthly.

When enforced, the law can punish the wrong doer, but no law can stop them. When enforced, licensing helps, but it will never solve all the issues. No certification can do that either.

lol

No free speech here.

I agree. Texas is pretty good at enforcement.

But they still license way more inspectors than they un-license. In areas that have adopted licensing, everyone waves the same state-issued credential and so at that point… it becomes an all out marketing race. And we all know who wins that race.

I should hope so. Most inspectors try to do a good job.
Punishment is for the few who make it hard on the rest
of us.

BTW… it’s not that easy to get an inspector’s license in
Texas. They are not handing them out to anyone.

I am not from Texas, but from what I have read, the REA’s control that industry. So, you have to pass their rules, regulations, and classes to get a license down there. It seems to me that it is wrong to play by someone else’s rules, SOP’s, ethics, etc. to the letter. To me, that would also hurt the consumer as well. If you do not play by the rules, you are out it seems. What happens if you go over the SOP’s, write a detailed report, and upset some REA in Texas that reports you? To me, conflicts abound when any state licensing is implemented.

If Realtor’s control the Texas inspector industry, why does the InterNACHI SOP sound almost the same as the Texas SOP? There is not much difference. Is InterNACHI controlled by the Realtor’s?

I, and many inspectors in Texas, report way more than what is required in the SOP and Realtors could never do anything about it. What can they do?

Many Realtor’s hated me, but could do nothing about what I reported.

Your listening to too many rumors. Base your opinion on facts.

It is so sad so many once respected inspectors around her just do not get it. They are true fools. ALL WHO WORKED to obtaining licensing and thinks it is great are idiots :frowning:

FLORIDA sure as hell did and does :frowning: