Pool temperature control

The air temp here is a pretty constant 72F. The pool here is about 70 F and I’d like to turn it up about 5 degrees. The pool guy says he can’t. I don’t believe it. There’s got to be a mixing valve somewhere. There’s no control in the underground mechanical room that I can recognize as maybe controlling water temp.

This is the only control I can see without climbing onto the roof, and I don’t have access permission. Does this look like a thermostatic control for water temp?

The mechanical room. Pump not grounded that I can see. This thing going to kill me?

On a gas heater, it’s pretty simple. On a solar heater as pictured, you, of course, are limited by what the sun does. But that said, solar heaters can be pretty effective when they’re not leaking (and prone to leaks appears their biggest draw back). Most pool heaters I see are gas, and the few solar heaters I’ve seen didn’t have an actual temperature control thermostat.

Pool pumps don’t have to be grounded per se at the pump itself, they have to be bonded.

The electrical system as a whole should be grounded, and that fuse box looks pretty scary.
It looks like a shock hazard from here.

There’s no grounding or bonding of any electrical components on this property, or on most properties in Mexico.

Are those wires soldered to the outside if the main cartrige fuses? :shock:

Probably just wedged between the fuse clip and the fuse.

Kenton, always let someone else enter the pool before you and don’t touch the railing.

YAH, I have never seen wires placed across fuses like that. I don’t know what it means. Mexican electrical is very unique.
For the first month here I could never figure out where the neutral conductor was coming off the pole. All I saw was the phase conductor. Finally I realized that the neutral and phase (hot) conductors were housed within the same conductor insulation. They appeared to be one wire coming off the pole.

Just inside my front door I have a dirt space where squirrels have tunneled in and now I look up from writing sometimes and see squirrels running across my floor. I would like to test my pool each time before swimming by tossing a squirrel in, but I can’t seem to catch one.

It means there is no fuse.

Same as the old penny under a buss fuse trick. NO protection whatsoever.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Products/Fuses/branch-circuit/Images/BUS_Ele_P_&_TC_Series_220.jpg

This isn’t totally accurate. The protection* IS* the wire. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the absence of a fuse, when the wire melts in two, the circuit becomes open! :mrgreen:

And what is the clearing capability of of said wire? :roll:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/?pc=SL5M&ocid=SL5MDHP&osmkt=en-ca&AR=6
These work great for squirrels , Best to leave him in the trap when testing the pool .

I love fried squirrel!

Is using a squirrel as an electrical testing device an accepted inspection method?
I think it is in México.

Is using a squirrel as an electrical testing device an accepted ASTM inspection method?
I think it is in México. Association of Squirrel Testing Methods (ASTM)

I agree. I’m not going back into the pool until I ground the pump and replace the breaker with a GFCI type. If the fuses were bypassed because they kept blowing, that indicates to me that there’s possibly some other electrical problem, although I’m guessing that the fuses were the original. OCPD and once the breaker was installed, they decided to bypass them with the wire.

…and, as far as the temperature control, there should be something that’s basically a TPR valve for water running through the tubes in the panel, and that valve would be set to open at a pre-determined temperature. And then there’s be a mixing valve that controls the temperature of water entering the pool. This is pretty obviously a thermostat calibrated from 30 F to 110 F, so I don’t see what else it could possibly control.