Radon test placement n crawl space?

We have an unfinished basement with 9 foot ceilings except for under the family room which has a concrete floor about 5 feet higher than the rest of the basement resulting in a raised crawl space of about 4 feet under that one room. Today, the inspector put the radon canister on the edge of the floor of that raised crawl space. Is that a correct place? I thought it cannot be on a floor. Please advise. Thanks!

The canister should be at least 20 inches above the floor. And that would be the floor Above the crawlspace, not the crawlspace floor.

This is what he did. It didn’t look right to me.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/eligruber/IMG_5619.jpg

Typically lowest living area OR area that could be readily converted to a living area. The basement might fit that bill … the crawl would not.

Corrected. Time (readily) is not a factor.

One more question. The canister was not collected for four full days. Is that the correct amount of time?

Many test kits are designed to be placed (exposed) for 48 to 96 hours. I am not familiar with what type of test kit was used, but it is likely that a four day exposure met the manufactures use parameters.

I have used kits from EMSL and RTCI and both conform to a 48 thru 96 hr exposure time. If memory serves, this also conforms to US-EPA standards.

Canisters don’t fly in my area for radon testing. We only use monitors. Agents don’t trust home owners, or other agents, from moving them or taking them outside. Neither do I.

Jeffrey …

Not sure WHAT you are trying to say.

When we place a radon monitor it typically goes into the lowest living area OR area that could be readily made into a living are (like a 1,000sf unfinished basement).

Define readily. What is the time limit that differentiates readily from lengthy?

In Illinois the “definition” is if an occupant would spend seven or more hours per week in the basement test there. Sometimes that can be hard to determine. Unless its an old cellar and/or has a dirt floor, no receptacles, etc. I set monitor in basement.

A lady that works at IEMA told me in an unfinished basement if you can roller skate on the floor that is where you test.

Jeffrey …

No time limit on readily vs lengthy. Weird question

Unfinished 1,000sf basement … Maybe they’d like to finish it next month MAYBE next year.

BUT its the lowest area of the house that could readily be finished into living area SO that would be the area tested here.

There you go again. You were doing just fine until your last line… What the heck does readily have to do with anything???

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m waiting for the test results to come in. If the result is high, I will request another test that is in the open part of the basement and not on the crawl space.

Jeffrey … So then make it SIMPLER yet

What would be simpler is to simply not add words that have no true bearing on the subject at hand!

Your posts have lost me … Have no clue what you’re saying.

As you know its recommended testing a home in the lowest level that could be used regularly because a buyer may chose to live or use a lower area of the home than used by a seller.

Make sure the test is done in the lowest level of the home that could be regularly used. This means the lowest level that will be used whether finished or unfinished (Not a crawlspace)

Is that what you’re trying to say??

Nope.

Go back and read posts #4 and #5. Read them this time… word by word… not just skim and read what you want to read… read what is actually written!

For someone who claims to have participated in as many court cases as you have, you sure don’t act like it! Is it a ‘minor thing’? Perhaps, but, ANY attorney will pick up on what I am pointing out and tear you a new one if it were to benefit their case.

I pray to hell your clients don’t have to deal this in your reports!