InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.

InterNACHI’s efforts have once again defeated the bad ASHI provisions previously inserted into the home inspection legislation pending in Ohio.

When H.B. 211 was first introduced, the bill required the home inspection board to adopt ASHI’s standards of practice and code of ethics. InterNACHI’s Board of Directors responded by instructing InterNACHI’s General Counsel, Mark Cohen, to fly to Ohio and meet with legislators. As a result of InterNACHI’s efforts, the current version of the bill no longer requires ASHI’s SOP or code of ethics and all references to ASHI have been removed from the legislation.

InterNACHI’s efforts also helped improve the proposed legislation in other ways. For instance, the prior version of the bill also required any applicant for a license to complete 80 hours of pre-licensing education, and 40 hours of that had to be sitting in a classroom. The current version allows an applicant to complete all training online using online video courses. This is significant because InterNACHI has received more than 1,400 governmental approvals for its online courses and is currently using its [(www.certifiedmasterinspector.org) is awarded, in part, based on experience.

Our thanks goes out to our General Counsel Mark Cohen for meeting with the Ohio legislators to protect the inspection industry.](“https://www.nachi.org/school/internachi-university/house-of-horrors/”)

Nice PICs:

Thanks Nick and Mark. It was ASHI’s interference in Ohio that lead me to joining InterNACHI (NACHI) in 2004. I moved my businesses from Ohio to Michigan a few years later but I continue to work in Ohio often.

Ohio’s legislation would be disastrous to home inspectors in Ohio. I will continue to oppose the law in its entirety but it is good to know that if it does pass, we have InterNACHI protecting the interests of inspectors. ASHI is an obsolete dying organization. They have little, if any, relevance in our industry today.

Thanks Nick.

Thank you Nick and Mark

This may all be good but it has created a flood of new inspectors in my area that were able to get their state license by joining InterNACHI for $49 per month, then taking all of the required courses while setting at home. Making it a very attractive and Low Cost way to become a certified and licensed professional. When it used to cost closer to $2,000, or more, Plus at least 10 hours had to be classroom.

And of course new inspectors, at least the the majority, start out charging less than everyone else in order to get jobs, which brings down the average home inspection cost.

The cost of the courses being $499 or $2,000 makes no difference in a man or woman’s decision to make the life decision about changing professions. That’s a myth.

“Hey honey, dinner was great, but I have something important to talk to you about. I’m going to go into business for myself. I realize that going into business is a big decision that will change our lives forever and I had no intention of ever doing this, but the courses are a bit cheaper now.”

Licensing provides a clear, official path for a newbie to enter YOUR market and wave the very same state-issued credential you tout. It harms veteran inspectors in that it makes a state-sanctioned doorway into YOUR market. The only one it helps are home inspection schools which, initially after licensing is adopted, pop up on every corner.

Thank you for your efforts, Nick and Mark - Always appreciated!

All I know is what is happening in my area. There are a lot of new “Nachi trained” inspectors charging low fees. It hasn’t had a real impact on my business…yet.

So you’re worried about newbies taking business from you? What does that say about your business model?

No I’m not. Worry about your own.

Good job Nick and company.
If Ohio does go with licensing, is the only way to be grandfathered is to be a CMI?

Scott

So the “ASHI” was removed from “adopt an SOP”

Also removed from the “Board of Inspectors” was it to be comprised of members from different national associations. Now they can all be from one association, and I got a feeling of which one.

Since the Board of Inspectors chooses the SOP, you can bet it will be ASHI since they are the driving force behind the Bill.

Thank you for support our efforts in Ohio. I have been trying to get my law makers and the local real estate organization to tell me what benefits the citizens of Ohio will get with the law. I ask them if licensing realtors stops bad realtors. They say no, so why do they think licensing will stop bad inspectors. Please keep trying to kill licensing in Ohio.

1 Like

No, and simply being a “CMI” doesn’t mean you still won’t have to provide documentation meeting any grandfathering prerequisites to be licensed, that is unless Nick and Mr. Cohen have had that language written into the law. :wink:

Again, until the bill is signed into law, changes can and will be made.

And Chris is right, the last thing we need is to turn Ohio into a vendor money machine. It will have a detrimental effect on the industry in this state if that happens.

1 Like

Latest version: https://www.nachi.org/documents2012/HB-211-Ohio-October-2017-revised.pdf

What does this mean…cliff notes version?

Joshua,

The Bill now goes to the House for further tweaking and a possible vote. It’s still a far way from done.

But, I’m sure your interested in the grandfathering:

Section 6.
(A) Notwithstanding section 4764.07 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, and except as provided under section 4764.14 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, during the period of time beginning on the date the last initial member of the Ohio Home Inspector Board is appointed pursuant to section 4764.04 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, and ending one hundred twenty days after that date, the Superintendent of Real Estate and Professional Licensing shall issue a home inspector license if a person
applies for a license on a form the Superintendent provides and pays the fee specified in section 4764.05 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, and if the applicant demonstrates all of the following:

(1) Proof of maintaining or being covered by a comprehensive general liability insurance policy or a commercial general liability insurance policy in accordance with division (A) of section 4764.11 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act; (Sec. 4764.11.(A)Every licensed home inspector shall maintain, or be covered by, a comprehensive general liability insurance policy or a commercial general liability insurance policy with coverage limits of not less than one hundred thousand dollars per occurrence and not less than a three-
hundred-thousand-dollar aggregate limit. The insurance policy shall provide coverage against liability of the licensed home inspector for loss, damage, or expense as a result of an act that occurred while the licensed home inspector was on the premises performing a home inspection. If the employer of a licensed home inspector is not a licensed home inspector and
maintains an insurance policy covering the licensed home
inspector, the licensed home inspector is not required to
maintain the licensed home inspector’s own insurance policy.)

(2) Proof by direct documentation or signed affidavit
attesting to having met any three of the following requirements to demonstrate participation in the home inspection field prior to the effective date of this act:

(a) Having performed at least two hundred home inspections for clients for compensation or other valuable consideration;
(b) Having successfully passed a home inspector examination specified in division(D)the Revised Code, as enacted by this act; (NHIE my inclusion)
© Having actively operated a home inspection business in this state for three years before the effective date of this act under a business name officially registered with the Secretary of State;
(d) Having been employed as a home inspector for the consecutive thirty-six months before the effective date of this act by an inspection company or person whose owner or manager meets the license requirement specified in this section
(e) Having successfully completed eighty hours of instruction of the type that would qualify for continuing education credit under section 4764.08 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act;
(f) Having a license, registration, or certification in good standing to perform the duties of a home inspector in another jurisdiction that has requirements for licensure, registration, or certification that are substantially similar to Chapter 4764. of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act;
(g) Having prepared at least five home inspection reports that have been verified as being in compliance with standards adopted by a national organization that consists of and represents home inspectors;
(h) Having completed, not more than one year before the effective date of this act, at least one peer review session conducted by a national organization that consists of and represents home inspectors.

(3) Proof of signing an attestation that the applicant Agrees to comply with the requirements specified in rules adopted by the Board pursuant to division(A)(10)of section 4764.05 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act;

(4) In a written statement, acknowledgment that the person understands the grounds for any disciplinary action that may be initiated under Chapter 4764. of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act.

The Superintendent shall have a fingerprint-based criminal records check conducted pursuant to section 121.08 of the Revised Code and the rules adopted by the Superintendent pursuant to division (A)(6)of section 4764.06 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, on any applicant who applies for a license under this section.
(B) Any license issued under this section shall expire three years after the date the license was issued. A licensed home inspector may renew the licensed home inspector’s license in accordance with section 4764.09 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act.
© As used in this section, “home inspection,” “peer review session,” and “residential building” have the same meanings as in section 4764.01 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act. “Home inspector” means a person who conducts home inspections for compensation or other valuable consideration.

Bottom line: So is the fox guarding the hen house? Any conflicts there?

All Ohio inspectors should read the entire Bill. It’s long and tedious, and every time I read it I learn something new.

As far as the foxes, just look at who are the driving forces behind the Bill. The Board of Realtors and A??I.