We'll help you buy this home+pay your closing costs+more $. Buy Back Guarantee home.

InterNACHI is buying back this home with our “We’ll Buy Your Home Back” Guarantee.](https://www.nachi.org/buy)

The client is worried about a crack in the basement wall.

Here is the engineer’s report: https://www.nachi.org/documents2012/601%20E%20Sherwood_Foundation-Engineers-Report.pdf

If you would like to buy it before we do, InterNACHI will help you buy it by paying all your closing costs and much of your downpayment.

InterNACHI would also be willing to finance the home for you.

Here is the link to the property.

Here is the appraisal.

Here is more information about the home: 601 E. Sherwood Road, Williamston, MI 48895 - InterNACHI

If interested, email Nick at fastreply@nachi.org

Appraisal: https://www.nachi.org/documents2012/601-E-SHERWOOD-appraisal.pdf

So I wonder how much to fix?

Where’s the one report we all want to see?

Great buy back program.

Typically foundations cracks are misunderstood by home buyers. Unfortunately many home inspectors lack the communication skills to appease a concerned client.

Typically settlement is the cause of foundation cracks. Repairs can be completed using simple polyurethane or 2 part epoxy injection.

Keep up the great work Nick and InterNACHI.

Did you read the Engineers report including his recommended fix?

There is nothing wrong with the wall BTW, and I’ll financially back that statement. You buy the house and have any trouble with the wall, I’ll buy the house back off of you and pay for all your expenses on both transactions and give you an additional $2K for your trouble.

What report is that?

Yep.

Yes Michel.
My remarks stated the obvious in most cases.
The Buy Back Plan is being instituted in this case.

Great work InterNACHI.

So you’re not in agreement with the engineer’s report?

I am fortunate enough to have repaired masonry above repaired foundations such as this. Being in that position I got to see repair recommendations, talk with the engineer, contractor that instituted recommended repairs and costs.

The foundation is made sound again and the cost is relatively minor as compared to the value of the home.

The appraisal report justifies the engineers report. Not much wrong with the home.

Maybe a bit off topic here.
I see these several times a year. Often the cause is pretty evident. What I never understand is why no one addresses or attempts to repair the cause of the issue. Yes, you can brace the wall from the inside or the outside. You can knock holes in the block and fill the wall with concrete, but this doesn’t solve the cause. I know as inspectors, that is not our position or job to determine or question the repairs.
Seems to me it is like putting a sump pump in the basement because there is water penetration in the walls. Doesn’t stop the issue, just addresses the issue after the fact.

Agree, and even though I also think the Engineers Report is crap, I see signs of damage to those walls that need actual repair for long-term, problem free use.

Really? Every member here should be insulted with your reply!
And you wonder why ASHI and most other non-Koolaid drinking inspectors constantly bash you and this organization online.

In my area a 24’ block wall would likely take 4 steel I-beam restraints per wall.

8 restraints at $300-$350 each is $2400 - $2800 … Then repairing cracks or open joints and you’re in there at $4300 - $5000.

Then WHAT made it move … Tree, negative grade, no drain tile OR sump pump, settled concrete flatwork, etc. The WHAT would need repair also. That could make a total repair get up there closer to $10k

The engineers report gave no numbers, just EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT

The appraisers report said NADA about cracking, movement, etc that I saw and in my area MOST appraisers would drop that out there.

SO, what did the home inspectors report say OR not say.

Jeffrey asks:

Originally Posted by gromicko View Post

Jeffrey replies:

Jeffrey, I don’t understand. Are you asking us to post the first inspection report performed for the current owner of the home? That report isn’t ours to post. So you’re fine with me posting inspection reports that aren’t ours? Interesting.

I would buy it if I could. Unfortunately my credit isn’t good enough for a home that expensive. Let alone for a home loan period.

We bought this property as part of InterNACHI’s “We’ll Buy Your Home Back” Guarantee - InterNACHI using the same agent that recommended our participating InterNACHI member. We then listed the property with that same agent who recommended our participating member a couple weeks ago on a Friday: 601 E. Sherwood Road, Williamston, MI 48895 - InterNACHI . By the following Monday we were under contract for $26K more than we were asking. The same agent also found our inspector’s client a new home. You can probably guess who he and his entire real estate office recommends for home inspections from now on.

I can’t thank you enough Nick! The home buy back program seems like a win for everybody. I’m proud to be a part of your Association your the best leader anyone could ask for. If you follow the plan that you set out its hard not to be successful. I am not thru my first year yet and have already done almost 100 inspections.