InterNACHI and Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities

I’m pleased to announce that InterNACHI has begun the application process to become a Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities institution with degree granting authority so that home inspectors can earn an accredited degree in inspections in Ontario.

This is a first for the inspection industry in Canada.

InterNACHI is currently the largest provider of approved and accredited inspection courses in the world: Approvals and Recognition - InterNACHI

More about InterNACHI’s online and online video courses: Free Home Inspector Training Courses & Online Classes - InterNACHI
More about InterNACHI’s House of Horrors training facilities: InterNACHI House of Horrors – Training from the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Hmmm be interesting to see the out come …

Degree granting …that will be interesting!

Hey having taught for over 27 years in the Ontario college system, there’s been enough programs already that have travelled down that path. Of course the other hurdle to consider is in order to grant a degree, at least in the Ontario college system, the instructors require a degree higher than the degree being granted.

In Montreal Quebec, Vanier collage has a Residential Building Inspection Program. The person teaching the course, Rick Cartmel, is on the InterNACHI Quebec BOD.
Hope everything works out.
Keep up the great work InterNACHI.

A CMI would be such an instructor.

I think not .

Actually, a CMI, with the right qualifications, would fit right in. His name is Rick Cartmel. He is currently instructing college course, Residential Building Inspection Program right now.The course has been executed for 18 years in Quebec.

There are several colleges teaching a Residential Building Inspection Program right now. Algonquin College is teaching a Residential Building Inspection Program as well. Wonderful things happening in the industry. More Provinces would be wise to keep this up as it pays into consumer protection and within legal obligations when buying and selling a home. All food for thought.

Hopefully Nick Gromicko would follow up with his suggestion of a Canadian House of Horrors in Toronto, Montreal or in Windsor. The Quebec City–Windsor Corridor (French: Corridor Québec-Windsor) is the most densely populated and heavily industrialized region of Canada.

Nick, any plans in the foreseeable future?

[FONT=Verdana]Rob Brown had the first house of horrors that I know of in The Oshawa areafor years .

Great idea and it was neat . He had many NACHI meeting held there too .

We had many Nachi meetings in Belleville Kingston held by Cam Allen and another group in Brantford held by Chuck Crooker ,

[/FONT]

Roy, you said a mouthful. Look how many inspectors use to participate when something new arrives. InterNACHI is the world’s largest Residential Building Inspection instructor and a House Of Horror or Canadian Residential Building Inspection School like in Colorado or Florida would anchor InterNACHI and all the benefits giving new live and meaning to the industry.

This should happen, InterNACHI Canadian Residential Building Inspection School, to progressively BRING HOME INSPECTION TRAINING TO A NEW LEVEL, be officially recognised, and link us all together as one united force…

Let me go one further. In Quebec, InterNACHI has become the new model attracting inspectors from other organizations. InterNACHI Quebec is the fastest growing home inspector organization bar none.

Why is this?
Due to the free education, names in the industry, Gilles Larin, Rick Cartmel, and everything InterNACHI has to offer home inspectors the other home inspection organizations Don’t/Can’t/Won’t due to financial restraint.
It takes oodles of financial backing, marketing substance and giving back to the Stakeholders, us.

As well.
Look at all the great retired or wishing they could home inspectors that could/would/should be instructors in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec an InterNACHI School or House Of Horrors they would have to choose from.
It would be illogical to pass up such a great opportunity.

As well, I am sure it could be replicated in Ontario with the right organization.

Look at the CMI instructor list in Florida. Best of the best. I recognise every name.

Instructors – InterNACHI House of Horrors

I stand with my post six (" I think not ")

Again, what “University” offers a degree in “home inspection”?

I personally know Rick, and he is undoubtedly qualified to teach home inspections. But in order for a program of study in a Canadian University to be recognized as “degree” granting it must follow the same requirements as any other “University” in Canada.

I also know of one “College” that delivers a home inspection program that delivered a “College level degree” in home inspection. I taught in that program at Humber College, along with my business partners. We helped create that program along with the Program Coordinator.

As such, I’m simply putting some facts on the table. Just because one is a CMI does not make one an equivalent to a Masters degree in a Canadian University.

As a follow up - since Rick has been teaching, would it not make sense that the University he teaches at to offer a degree program? Or how about the number of locations where the C&D education is offered?

You see it is not as easy or without the need to fulfill the higher post-secondary level of education, training and qualifications that a true “University” requires. Not to forget meeting the mandated Education Acts of the Province.

Dalhousie University, Certificate in Home Inspection. The Certificate in Home Inspection program is delivered 100% online.There is no classroom time. Our program gives clear direction concerning what to look for in an inspection, how to report visual defects, and how best to communicate with clients and stakeholders.
I rememeber quite well some memebers disputing on line education.
Vern Michinson and the Alberta memebers introduced protores exams.
Vern, you’re the BEST!

CMI is a designation. Not adegree. The CMI is being strenghtened as we speak, or type.
Lots to do. Nick will get it done.

Thanks Robert - but do you know who the instructor is that teaches those courses at Dalhousie? I do, and he has degrees in education, as well as several decades of experience as a home inspector, as well as teaching.

But also notice it is a “certificate”, and not very different than others offered by a number of other “non-university or college program courses/programs”.

BTW: The one offered through Dalhousie is the C&D courses, not unlike those already offered at many colleges across Canada already.

“Proctored exams” - nothing new there either! In fact proctored exams have been around for over 50 years in the education system. Proctored exams goes back to the days when I wrote mine in the mid-70s at ASHI. Proctored exams simply raise the bar on being more challenging, than the open book/resources versions.

Perhaps I’m just waisting my time here, to try to explain what is blatantly obvious.

Great information Claude . You have given much information that we all can use . Thanks Roy

Quick comment here Claude, just because an exam is proctored, it does not mean it cannot be “open-book” and just because an exam is “open-book” it does not mean it can’t be proctored.

The principle behind the open-book, proctored examination is to identify that in an examination of a multi-faceted subject that requires both broad scope and in-depth knowledge the examinee is capable of identifying they are capable of the ability to exhibit a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter whilst at the same time subject to time constraints. This is much like it would be in the “real world” scenario.

While examinations in singular subject matter tend to be closed-book and are looking for total recall on the part of the examinee, an open-book exam is more about assessing the individual’s ability to prove their prior learning, using reference material they might have in the field. Putting a tight time limit on such an exam means that open-book doesn’t become read it until you find the answer. One has to know exactly where to find the answer.

There are many, many open-book proctored examinations in many, many professions. I see no reason why the home Inspection Profession shouldn’t be one of them.

As for the rest of the thread, I’m in complete agreement with you. A certificate is not a degree, a CMI is not a PhD and the MTCU is not the right place to try to get a course accepted for licensing when it’s being delivered from out of province. But then, we both know that. :smiley:

Claude, I understand what you are saying, and the principles behind them.
I am pointing out, there are several colleges and universities teaching building inspection training. You said you only knew of one. That was the point I was trying to make.

While you are trying to (measure) certifications against degrees, I am pointing out that colleges and universities have been offering building inspection curriculum for some time.

I understand how you feel about your qualifications, Humber college and Carson Dunlop program.

Lets see how InterNACHI process proceeds with the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities with a “degree granting authority” so that home inspectors can earn an accredited degree in inspections in Ontario.

Great reply, Lenard. Thank you so much for your astute position on this discussion. Its Greatly welcome, “as always.”

Best regards, Robert.

How I read the post, (I’m pleased to announce that InterNACHI has begun the application process to become a Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities institution with degree granting authority so that home inspectors can earn an accredited degree in inspections in Ontario.)
An accredited degree ‘is recognized for meeting specific educational standards,’ which have been set by an accrediting agency. Choosing an accredited degree ensures its acceptance by other recognized institutions and organizations and potential employers.

Wishing InterNACHI all the best. Good luck as always, Nick.
Looking forward to the World’s Best Training for Home Inspectors In Toronto, Windsor, or Montreal.