Watch Inspection Tip #23:Marketing Ideas

Watch Home Inspection Tip #23: Marketing Ideas from a class on Free Live, Online Classes for Home Inspectors

good one

This is outstanding advice! It is at the core of “Needs Based Selling”. Identifying needs and meeting those needs = Success!

Thanks Jacob and Ben!

Randy Erickson

I agree that finding out what clients feel constitutes a good inspection is a great idea. I try to find out what the client’s concerns, expectations, and observations are prior to the inspection. If I were the client, I think I would appreciate the fact that someone I am getting ready to hire is willing to take the time to listen.

Realtors opinions I take with a grain of salt. While there are Realtors who genuinely put the client’s interests ahead of the deal, there are too many that do not.

I have talked to Realtors who have no more idea of what constitutes a good inspection than the Man in the Moon. From my conversations, for instance:

“The inspector I use measures foundation levels/does a free infrared inspection/scopes the sewer line, etc. Do you?” Just because someone uses a gimmick (and yes, these are gimmicks) to get more business doesn’t mean I should. Better to focus on what serves the clients actual needs. Gimmicks distract from that goal.

“I don’t want you to ‘scare’ the client”. Sometimes the client should be alarmed. Unfortunately, a comment like this is often a thinly-veiled request to “go easy”.

“The client just wants to know the major stuff”. Well, great, except that I don’t know what the client thinks constitutes “major”. I will verbally express my opinion as to the relative importance of a deficiency during the post-inspection walk-through, but if something is wrong, it goes on the report.

Ben mentioned a Realtor’s desire for a fast inspection. I will always get the inspection done as quickly as possible while providing a thorough inspection. I would be curious to know why the agent would like me to limit my time at the inspection. This does not sound like putting the client’s interests first.

The sad part most Realtors do not know what they need. The busiest Realtor referred inspector in my area uses carbon copy checklist forms, and performs three to four inspections a day by himself.

Actually, the Realtors know exactly what they need. Unfortunately, the client’s needs too often don’t enter the picture.

An inspector I mentored was talking in front of a group of Realtors and told him that his reports usually had videos inside of them. The Realtors acted like they never heard of such a thing. I pulled out a moisture meter once and I could hear the seller Realtor talking on the phone, that this home inspector was sticking something in the wall, and this inspector claims he can find moisture with it. Just amazes me!:roll:

Worth repeating:

"Realtors opinions I take with a grain of salt. While there are Realtors who genuinely put the client’s interests ahead of the deal, there are too many that do not.

I have talked to Realtors who have no more idea of what constitutes a good inspection than the Man in the Moon."

“Ben mentioned a Realtor’s desire for a fast inspection. I will always get the inspection done as quickly as possible while providing a thorough inspection. I would be curious to know why the agent would like me to limit my time at the inspection. This does not sound like putting the client’s interests first.”