Reuse Inspection Report

Heres one I couldn’t answer. My wife’s a real estate agent and a client of hers bought a house just over a year ago and is now selling. He had home inspected, not by me, and would now like to utilize the report as pre-inspected with repairs made. Is this ok? Things could have certainly changed in the house but is he or more importantly my wife doing anything wrong using a year old report?

Thanks in advance?

No… new purchaser new report , Things always change . Two day , two months still need a new report .
The report belongs to one purchaser .
You can get your self in Trouble very quickly in this industry,

I cant get in trouble its not my report. The homeowner who owns the report is asking if he can do this. He had the home inspected when he purchased it from another inspector. They had the listed items repaired and he wants to show that. Can a homeowner show a year old report with corrections?

Home owner can do what they want to do. Using the old report adds to their disclosure to the potential buyers.

A buyer should obtain a new inspection

Thank you that is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure the wife didn’t get into any issues.

Your wife, as a Realtor, has Ethics policies that are unique to agents and has nothing to do with inspectors. That is where the question needs to be asked. Have her contact her supervising Broker for proper the office / Board requirements.

Agree with Steve S.: Your Mrs. needs to check with her broker to ensure compliance…

The seller can do what he wishes with his report.

Best regards,
Pat

Related:

What Happens When Your Inspection Report Gets Recycled?

Thanks Kate great reminder… Roy

Unfortunately this does happen.

In my PIA, the report is owned by me. A copywriter. The client agrees to contact me if the report is required.

Article 3: **The inspection and report are for the use of (CLIENT only.) **The CLIENT gives INSPECTOR permission to discuss observations with real estate agents, owners, repair-persons, and other interested parties. The INSPECTOR shall be the (sole owner) of the report and all rights to it. **It is a “copywriter” of the inspector Robert Young or inspectors employed by Robert Young’s Montreal Home Inspection Services **Inc.

If I see my report being used for a home, I will contact the ESOP of the recognised real estate regulator.

I see you didn’t have an attorney write your agreement since you don’t use the proper terms. A “copywriter” is someone who writes advertisements to sell products. A “COPYRIGHT” is what protects a document. They are different words and have vastly different meanings. As is, your contract means nothing.

In NY the report is the property of the client, and as an inspector, I am not allowed to share the information with anyone without the client’s consent. Because of this, I have inspected one property 3 times within 1 month! I suggest caution, the rules vary by state, but the ethics are universal.

Good advice.

Actually, the agreement was written by a well known home inspector attorney retained by InterNACHI. I added the term to one of the articles.

That is a very loose interpretation.
Carson Dunlop holds the rights to the software and writes articles, but I am sure they can defend themselves.

I will send the agreement of the the attorney once I change copywriter to COPYRIGHT.

Thank you for the post. Here is the revision.
3. The inspection and report are for the use of (CLIENT only.) The CLIENT gives INSPECTOR permission to discuss observations with real estate agents, owners, repair-persons, and other interested parties. The INSPECTOR shall be the (sole owner) of the report and all rights to it. The document a “COPYRIGHT” of the inspector Robert Young.
a. The INSPECTOR accepts no responsibility for use or misinterpretation by third parties. Any third parties who rely on it in any way do so (at their own risk) and release INSPECTOR, (Including employees and business entities) from any liability whatsoever.
b. Any / all third parties who rely on the report in any way also agree to all provisions in this Agreement.
c. INSPECTOR inspection of the property, and the report, are in no way a guarantee or warranty, express or implied, regarding the future use, operability, habitability or suitability of the home/building or its components.
d. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly excluded to the fullest extent allowed by law.
e. If any structure or portion of any structure that is to be inspected is a log home, log structure or includes similar log construction, CLIENT understands that such structures have unique characteristics that make it impossible for an inspector to inspect and evaluate them by an exterior visual inspection. Therefore, the scope of the inspection to be performed pursuant to this Agreement does not include decay of the interior of logs in log walls, log foundations or roofs or similar defects.

Nobody cares

You did. As well you were incorrect on two counts.
I got a call about this thread 30 minutes ago.

Funny when you think about it. Lol.

Name the two counts. As far as your call, I think you are lying.

Mr. Stanczyk. To my recollection I have never insinuated that someone is laying nor do I wish to be cross examined by the likes of you.

You are a hot head when you are emotional. Now do as you wish sir as you have on the emergency forum.

Hot head? Obviously you know nothing about me. Emotional? You have me there. I laugh at your idiocy and am sorrowful for your clients. I didn’t insinuate anything. I made a statement.

W.A.F.I.2

Did you Copywriter that?