Granule loss on a 10 year old roof

I have never seen shingle granule loss to this extent, the owner told me the roof was about ten years old.

69.jpg

63.jpg

74.jpg

66.jpg

Are you taking drone shots on a 1 story house? Why not a ladder at the eave or walk it??? Difficult to see details in your photos.

Where are you located?

P.S. Do you have a question?

1. I don’t ever walk a wet roof and 2. I didn’t need to walk the roof to identify what was wrong with it.

This house is in the Western Suburbs of Chicago.

No, I don’t use a drone. This was with my camera on a Spectrascope.

If it is 10 yo it would be a manufacturers defect, but most homeowners don’t remember crap!

It would be great if you got closer to the roof for your pictures

You post says you are Community Guest ???
You web site says you are a NACHI member .???

Please go to top left see Control Panel and put in your info

Thanks Roy

The only time I listen to a homeowner is when they are informing me that there is something wrong with the house.

Where is the attic ventilation? Maybe a warranty claim, but if there’s no or inadequate ventilation, forget about it.

Learn to walk on low/moderate slope single story rooftops. You’re going to miss a lot of important stuff if you don’t.

This appears to be excessive granule loss. Near uniform loss across the shingles indicates that it’s not foot traffic, in which granule loss would be concentrated on the butts. Uniformity of granule loss indicates pressure washing from the ridge toward the eaves.

For comparison:

The first photo is from foot traffic. Poor resistance, probably a manufacturing defect. No claim was ever filed so we don’t know.
The second is an example of damage that appears to be from pressure washing.
You can express an opinion, but either you know or you don’t.
Luckily, we are not required to determine the cause of problems, only to identify that one exists and make a recommendation.

In this case mine would be:

1. If the roof were still under warranty, examination by a manufacturer’s representative.
  2. If not, the roof appears to have suffered functional damage that increases the chances of leakage.

6a. Manufacturing defect.JPG

6a. Manufacturing defect.JPG

Pressure wash 1 copy.jpg

I would tell the owner to prove it. That was done a long time ago.

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said.