Old roof inside of roof?

Wondering if any of you have seen this before. This is the 2nd one I’ve seen here in Central Florida where an addition was done on a home, and part of the old roof was visible inside of the attic space of the addition. The connection point of the roof structure seems suspicious, although I couldn’t navigate close enough to fully view it. We have engineered trusses here, but conventional framing closer to the connection point to the old roof. I can’t see how this would integrated into the existing structure except by attaching right to the old shingles and roof decking, which has to be insufficient. Any thoughts and how would you write this up?

I’ve seen that quite often…
I wouldn’t write anything up about it.

Its done all the time when an addition is added. Better to rip the old off but its not wrong as long as the shingles are not asbestos containing shingles

Thank you all. Good to know. I guess my bigger concern was how the new roof system was attached to the old. It doesn’t seem to be an adequate attachment. Normally I would expect to see a 2x10, 2x8, etc. laid flat on the old surface and then rafters attached. Not sure how I could know if the old shingles contain asbestos. I just don’t want to short change my client.

Correct, I would have preferred to see the rafters attached to sleepers as well, but at this point, it wouldn’t be worth correcting. It’s not going anywhere unless there’s a hurricane in which case, sleepers aren’t going to help anyway.

Great input. So thankful for this forum and community. Really appreciate it from all. Happy inspecting!

That’s what it is all about here, Stephen…feel free to jump in when you want. :slight_smile:

I agree with the opinions expressed, but the following thought occurs to me:

It is often not possible to tell whether an addition of this type is properly tied in to the existing structure. In such situations, would it not be prudent to state as much in the inspection report and urge the buyer to attempt to determine whether the addition was done with the necessary permits?

If you are in FL, what are the requirements for hurricane strapping on roof framing?

All the time.

My last house was the same way.

There are a ton of post-WWII homes in my area that all started as 2 bed 1 bath homes for returning GIs, and over the years, many of them have had additions or several.

Sometimes the original shingles are still on the old roof in the attic.

hello,
i am garry malvin.i am a manager in roofing company in Grapevine,Texas.I have seen that quite often…I wouldn’t write anything up about it.if you know about your roof then contact with my roofing company.

As Bill indicates, I would have noted the observation in my report to determine with the current owner if it was added with permits.