Commercial Inspection - Panic Bars

When installed panic hardware shall be mounted at a height not less than ____ inches?

a. 44 inches
b. 24 inches
c. 30 inches
d. 42 inches
e. 36 inches

John

I have to go with 42" Our building code only specifies NOT higher than 47" and I guess they forgot to talk about min height.

Good trick question John.

Code minimum allowed and standard mounting heights are two different answers that are not easily interchangeable for Commercial hardware.

Marcel :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

**Under normal construction techniques those that selected 36" would be correct. However special considerations are made for Day Care centers and facilities that provide services or housing to shorter individuals. In these facilities a minimum may be as low as 24-inches.

**[/size]

Just thought I would add this in to not cause any confusion.

Although fact that a minimum mounting height for panic devices may be 36",
Most all Commercial Hardware is installed at 41" to the center of the push bars.

Where a vertical rod device may be used, the centerline height would be at 39 & 13/16 off of finish floor. Any other height would cause the top rod or bottom rod to be short or too long.

Residential and light Commercial usually have hardware preparations on the frames and doors set up for 36" centers.

Full commercial hardware, doors and frames are always preped for 41" center hardware mounting.
Commercial hardware will not mix with Residential doors and frames unless custome ordered. Everything from templateing and mounting are usually different.

http://www.globaldoor.com/Portals/0/Exit%20Devices/exitlabel.jpg

**TOUCH BAR EXIT DEVICES **

**[FONT=Arial]TH1100EDTBAR - TOUCH BAR **[/FONT]

Global Series TH1100EDTBAR “touch bar” style exit devices are suitable for all doors (aluminum, hollow metal, or wood) where there is no projection on the face. Manufactured of extruded anodized aluminum, the TH1100EDTBAR is durable enough for the most demanding applications. A rim cylinder is included, and the EDTBAR can also be used in conjunction with any of the exit device trims listed below.

http://www.globaldoor.com/Portals/0/Exit%20Devices/TH1100EDTBAR.jpg

**Specifications **

• MATERIAL: Extruded anodized aluminum push bar, stainless steel springs

• LATCH: Stainless Steel, 3/4” throw - 5/8” deadlatch

• BACKSET: 2 3/4” Covers 161 prep, includes latch & strike filler plates

• STRIKE: Surface mounted for 5/8” stop with shim

• PROJECTION: 2 1/2” – 1 7/8” dogged

• STILE: 4 1/4” minimum

• HANDING: Reversible, non-handed

• DOOR THICKNESS: 1 3/4” standard

• DOOR WIDTH: 36”, can be field sized to 30”

• MOUNTING HEIGHT: Recommended installation at 41" from finished floor to center line of push rail.

• FASTENERS: Furnished with sheet metal and machine screws

• CYLINDER: Rim included, all key trims cylinder included except PLED

• DOGGING: 1/2 turn hex key

• FIRE RATED: Available - please specify

• FINISHES: Aluminum, Duronotic, and Stainless Steel

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Higher the better, not exceeding the recommended code in your area.
44" on center of the bar.

24"is also recommended for people confined to Wheelchairs.

Ken,

I’ve been looking for this information. If you don’t mind would you share your reference?

I would be curious also John, for I have never heard of a panic device installed at 2’-0" AFF…

http://www.vonduprin.com/images/b_header_appsolutions.gif

http://www.vonduprin.com/images/b_header_barfill.gif

Mounting Heights

Allowable mounting heights for exit devices are the same in each model code: not less than 30" nor more than 44" above the floor. While design may dictate where the push bar is located, consideration should be given in assigning a mounting height to either the lower or upper limits. The lower height is suggested for grade schools, while the upper height may be better suited for adult use, i.e. colleges. Consider where the trim is located on the opposite side of the door, as some manufacturers may have as much as 8"-10" differences between the centerline of the push bar and the centerline of pull trim. This height difference varies, depending on locking functions and type of exit device. Also consider applicable regulations for the physically disabled, as height requirements may vary. ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations permit 48" maximum height for accessible door hardware, while some state codes have a 42" limit. Some states also require the ends of lever trim to return to within 1/2" of the door face.

NFPA 101 34"-48"
NFPA 5000 same
IBC same
BOCA SBC, UBC 30"-44"

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

That’s a very good point regarding wheelchair accessiblity! Achieving the best of two worlds is the real challenge. The current bar design does not favor those in the chair, unless the door opens automatically for them. You could almost throw the codes out the window and inspect using our practical and common senses.

I would still stand behind my initial answer of 44" but include an automatic push button between 30"-36" from the ground as a secondary opener for those in wheel chairs.

The best panic exit bars are those made of stainless steel and contain no plastic or other weaker materials. The comments before already answered the height issue correctly, so I will not write it again. I hope the information I provided helps you in your choice.

We are recommending 2 bars, 1 at 33-36 inches and another at 24 the reason is this. When someone is alone and wants to open the door he uses the force of his forearm to move the door then his wheelchair takes over without the lower bar the door gets a beating from the wheel chair and makes it harder to open.
What is also starting to catch on is separate hand rails lowered for small children. I will admit I have not seen this yet in any ADA changes only in the 28 CFR. Code of Federal Regulations.

KW,
please furnish a link, doc, photo or diagram

I would like to but it is on a PDF secured file.

From Von Duprin;

**[FONT=FoundryFormSans-Bold][size=2]Panic Hardware **[/size][/FONT][FONT=FoundryFormSans-Book][size=2](NFPA 101®: 7.2.1.7, NFPA 5000™: 11.2.1.7)
· actuating portion of device must extend at least 1/2 the width
of the door leaf
· device must be mounted between 34" and 48" above finished
floor (A.F.F.) (30" to 48" for existing applications)
· door locations requiring panic hardware are listed within the
individual occupancy chapters:
· means of egress doors in Assembly, Day Care, and
Educational Occupancies with an occupant load of 100
or more persons shall be permitted to have a latch or
lock only if it is panic hardware
· doors serving high hazard contents areas with occupant
loads of more than five shall be permitted to have a latch
or lock only if it is panic hardware
· required panic hardware (except as allowed for Detention &
Correctional Occupancies), shall not be equipped with any locking
device, set screw, or other arrangement that prevents the release
of the latch when pressure is applied to the releasing device
· fire exit hardware may not be equipped with devices to hold the
latch retracted unless the devices are listed and approved for
such purposes
[/size][/FONT]

Panic bars at 33"-36" and kick bar at 24" a kick plate up to 16"
http://www.ada.gov/stdspdf.htm
This pdf is as close to what is recommended for ADA.

nfn…

I was able to dig up a new one for you guys but don’t ask me to find the quotations.
Enjoy learning what is in store for here as we just started adopting allot of this info.

KW,
i get the exit devices (panic bars) and kick plates
unable to find any reference to the “kick bars” you mentioned

are you advising these mystery items as an upgrade to perfectly functional door units?

They are already being installed here under circumstances when glass is full open to the bottom framing. When this is done option of 16" panel kick plate is not needed.
This has just started also in Mar 15 2012 so it is all new to me also even though it was about 4 years back that I started learning about mods for Accessibility.
I would think that the modified handrail will not be accepted for some applications.
Barry I should also mention that there is courses for this that you can take to familiarize you of the requirements.