Bodark Foundation information

Does anyone have any link(s) to the history of bodark foundations and how they were constructed? I run into enough of them and explain them to clients but have been asked for references to information on them. Any links would be appreciated.

Check spelling Bois D’Arc also referred to as Osage Orange and horse apples

Not a lot about foundations

If they use bois d’arc to make foundations, they should last a long time. I made a table out of bois d’arc back in wood science at Texas A&M and probably ruined a gazillion bazillion saw blades. It is a very dense and durable wood, and also very beautiful. I think the only reason it is not used more to make high end furniture is because one goes through too many diamond-edged blades to make something and, depending on how it is cut, it is prone to splitting. That’s why I no longer own the beautiful bois d’arc wood table that I made. :margarit:

Hey Barry,

I thought it was spelled as Bodarc also but when I could find nothing under Bodarc (other than the tree information) I tried Bodark and a number of discussions came up. Unfortunately none were of use and none of the answers contained corrections. For such a popular, early construction method (at least around here) I was surprised I could not even find anything in historical records about it.

Manny,

A day working with or around bois d’arc leaves one with no mental or physical strength for documenting it’s benefits and rewards…is all I can figure.

I have seen 100+ year old residential and commercial bois d’arc post foundations that are functioning as intended to this day.

As an example Abbey Restaurant and the adjoining structure in Frisco on Main St. has this type of post foundation about 8,000 sq ft as I recall.

I can think of a few local inspectors/P.E.s that may be able to provide more info…if needed…you know my number :wink: