Installing water softerner into a PEX plumbing system

Hi -

I live in Northern California and have a PEX plumbing system. House is 1 yr old. I’ve purchased a water softerner from Home Depot. And now, need to join the two.

Here is the work that needs to be done:

• Cut into a 1" incoming PEX pipe - going into the manifold.
  • Drill couple holes to run the lines to/fro water softerner that is next to the manifold.
  • Attach the needed elbow connector to the incoming pipes.
  • Run the line to the water softern. About 2 ft
  • Run another line from the water softener to the PEX manifold. About 2 ft.

Question 1: Is this something I can do on my own - I am not a plumber.
Question 2: Can I transition from PEX to a flexible hoses that will run to the water softener? Special materials? Connectors? Pressure restrictions?
Question 3: Is it possible to rent the cramping tool & go/no-go gauge - how much? From where? They seem pretty pricey ($100-$200) to buy for a 1 day job. I see 2 to 4 connections total.
Question 4: How much would it cost to do this on my own - supplies/rent
Question 5: How much would it cost to have a pro plumber do it?
Question 6: There is lots of new construction going on. What’s a good amount to offer to see if they can do it as a side job.

Overall, it very simple connection, but I need the tools & expertise.

Thanks for you advice!

Around here Home Depot has a list of contractors / installers that they will recommend based on past performance and customer satisfaction. I do a lot of different kinds of construction repairs and remodels but whenever I run upon a job where I have to literally “ask myself” IF I can do it, experience has taught me to refer to the professional. By the time you go to the expense of either buying or renting equipment, tools, materials and not even counting the repeated trips to the store for additional materials you could be already enjoying the new device. My recommendation (based soley on what you have told us) is call Home Depot and get the name and number of at least three of their contract installers, hire one of them, make a pot of coffee and stand back and watch them put it in correctly while enjoying a nice hot steamy cup of coffee. I have a garage full of one time used tools. The amount of money impresses even me when I add them all up. I wish I had it all back.

Cal,

Well I will comment since we install these as well…

You stated the following:

Question 1: Is this something I can do on my own - I am not a plumber.
Answer: Sure you can IF you have the correct crimping tool which costs about $ 100 bucks handy. And since they make them in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" if you are going to tap the 1" you better have a 3/4" or 1/2" handy as well.

Question 2: Can I transition from PEX to a flexible hoses that will run to the water softener? Special materials? Connectors? Pressure restrictions?

Answer: You are BEST to simply connect into the PEX and PEX over to the softener itself, on the back of the softner will be a inlet and outlet by-pass valve to which you will need to connect into…I suggest doing all this in PEX with the proper crimp rings to avoid leaks.

Question 3: Is it possible to rent the cramping tool & go/no-go gauge - how much? From where? They seem pretty pricey ($100-$200) to buy for a 1 day job. I see 2 to 4 connections total.

Answer: Well I am not aware of being able to rent them but if you know a plumber friend he might let you use it. If you set the unit up and cut all the PEX to the correct specs you may simply be able to call a local plumber and ask them what their hourly charge is and say you need them to make some connections…no more than an 1 hour fee…

Question 4: How much would it cost to do this on my own - supplies/rent
Answer: Well again bepends on the crimper…but with the PEX and so on and shut off valve you need on the supply line into the softener and the flex hose FROM the bypass valve to the drain when it is in the regeneration cycle…

I would venture to say you will have about 125.00 to 150.00 in it…maybe less if you find someone who has the proper crimpers you need.

Question 5: How much would it cost to have a pro plumber do it?
Answer: Well one call to a local plumber could probably answer that one for you but I would venture to say probably the same price as above…

Question 6: There is lots of new construction going on. What’s a good amount to offer to see if they can do it as a side job.
Answer: If you go to a site and see a plumber hooking up lines, tell them you have a few pipes of PEX you need connected to a softener and they will probably be able to help you…drive around to a few sub-divisions and see if you can find a plumber doing some work…or better yet just call a local plumber and ask them…

YES, it is a simple connection that can GO BAD with a single BAD crimp job…:slight_smile:

You kind of answered your own question. But you are going to do it yourself ask yourself “how long am I able to go without water?” The worst case senerio before you have to bring in a plumber. On the upside, doing something yourself is often educational and rewarding (if you do it right)
I you decide to have a plumber do it you should try to get someone who is experienced in working with pex, otherwise you might as well do it yourself;-)

I don’t know off-hand of any pex connectors that transition directly to flexible hose. If you can’t find any you may have solder a short peice of copper with pex connection on one end and a hose connector on the other.

In my area I can rent the crimper and gauge for about $9 CAN per day. Check with your local rental places before deceiding to do the project yourself because yes, the crimper can be rather pricey if you have to buy it and would simply not be woth it for a single job.

I have no idea what prices are in your area.

Call plumbers and ask for a quote. Note if you call them Sunday evening because your spouse is yelling that they have no water because you don’t know what you are doing and you need them out right away you can expect to pay conciderably more.

I have no idea

Call the plumber

Awww…Brian…The guy may want some ADVENTURE in his life…thehehe…Whats a little Crimping among friends…thehehehe

Any plumbers in SF East Bay looking for a small side job as described above? Beer included! (After the job).

calhockey

Fine, you want adventure, call an Electrician.:roll: :wink: