A O Smith Date code

What is the actual date of this water heater? An A O Smith model # M06-M-78-01849. It looks older, I thought 1978…But the M06 makes me think 2006…
What do you think?
Thanks again,
Gerald Wilcox
House Check Home Inspections

Well, how old did the unit look? Did it look 2 or or did it look 30?

Looks can be deceiving, Mark, being I had a date code I was looking for confirmation…It does not look like a current model, but being electric there’s not alot of differences to compare to.

Using the serial number for A.O. Smith. The second letter is the month followed by 2-digit year [size=2]A through N is January through December (excluding the letter I)[/size]

'78

look here for Date Codes

I believe both of those are only partially correct. M is December, rather than N, and both sources should read “if there are two letters at the beginning, the second letter is the month followed by a 2-digit year. If there is only one letter at the beginning, that is the month followed by a 2-digit year.”

Consequently, I get December 2006 for that unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurrins
Using the serial number for A.O. Smith. The second letter is the month followed by 2-digit year [size=2]A through N is January through December (excluding the letter I)[/size]

Quote:
                                             Originally Posted by **kshepard**
             *'78

look here for Date Codes*

RR-Said

I agree 06.

Man you would certainly think just looking at it, whether it was 2 or 30 years old like Mark said…!!..but who knows without a picture…some old lady may of polished it every week like a sterling silver collection----:smiley:

Reminds me of an inspection a few years ago. The home had been built in the late 1940s I believe it was and was still owned by the little ol’ lady, who was 87 and downsizing because her husband, who built the home, had died the year before. She walked around with us and commented on everything we did, wondering what we were doing, why we were doing it, what it would tell us, etc. A very, very bright and inquisitive lady. Everything in the place was immaculate in every respect, and I understood from the listing agent that she still took care of the place herself but was acquiescing to her children’s demands to downsize.

We got to the laundry area and I let out an audible breath. She heard it and asked me what was wrong. I said, “Nothing. I just don’t find metal braid water hoses in very many laundries here in San Diego.” She said, “What do you find?” to which I replied, “The rubber hoses that come with the washer.” She said, “Oh, no, those are more prone to bursting unless you turn them on when you fill up the washer and off when you’re finished.” I said, “Yeah, I know, but people never do that and never replace the rubber hoses with the nice metal braid hoses like you have.” She looked at me with the kindest eyes and said, “Well those people are stupid!”

It took all of my willpower to prevent myself from bursting out laughing.

Well here’s a pic, it didn’t help me much but maybe it will help you as we are fairly evenly divided on the date code…
Regards
Gerald Wilcox

322 Richter Ave 142 (Small).jpg

Looks older than 2006, more like 1978 vintage, IMHO.

Yep–looks like it too me also----:shock:

Me, too. However, don’t underestimate the plumber who kept the tank and replaced everything else with “parts from the office,” thereby giving it a new date code. I find it about once a year here in San Diego. Plumbers can be ingenious.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate your responses. Helpful as always.
Gerald Wilcox