Need code information regarding dead valleys & crickets

Ed the Roofer sent me this direction; hopefully y’all can complete the task @ hand.

I have a house that is being paid out as a hail claim by the insurer - the client house has one dead valley where two valleys meet for around a 3’ horizontal section & another area where for around 12", a heavy dose of cement was put @ the bottom of the valley where it meets a stucco wall.
My issue is that in talking to the adjuster (inside adjuster; I wasn’t there when the inspection was performed as the client contacted me post)… in talking to the adjuster, they won’t pay for these changes unless it’s required by code.

I also have another house with a 5’ wide brick chimney that is 11 years old & it does NOT have a cricket of any kind. In this case, the adjuster said they WILL pay for a cricket provided I can show documentation of this being required.

Finally, house # 3 has a cricket, however this component is in really really bad shape. I guess this situation isn’t so much a “find me a requirement” as a commentary; it’s a hand fabbed cricket & how this thing passed inspection when the house was most recently purchased (this client has been in the home just over 1 year now & the chances of it going to Helena Handbasket inside of 1-1/2 years is remote, @ best.

Does anyone have any idea where in BOCA or Southern Standard or any other code guide that I can find documentation on where a cricket or dead valley is required? (I mention cricket because I have another house - AllState - that has a 60" wide chimney, bricked, without one & IIRC, these are required for all chimneys 30" & wider; has been code since around '82 or so).

Here’s some photos of the job(s):

Here’s the first area:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/RanchHandRoofing/Project%20Photos/2008%20Henriquez%20Round%20Rock/2008Henriquez7.jpg

& The stucco section, a proposed remedy detailed:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/RanchHandRoofing/Project%20Photos/2008%20Henriquez%20Round%20Rock/2008Henriquez5a.jpg

The metal section would continue as one fully sautered component around the corner & down the slope, but I can’t really show that on this one photo…

This next photo is from a different house - chimney with no cricket (home built around 11 years ago). The adjuster tells me he’s pretty sure the client has $ 5K allowed for “code compliance” & this would also apply for stuff like cedar shake shingles which, in our market, get removed in favor of decking & shingles.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/RanchHandRoofing/Project%20Photos/2008%20James%20Round%20Rock/2008JamesCricket1.jpg

Finally, this last house has a generically craptacular cricket that’s in serious need of replacement (along with a lot of trim issues).

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/RanchHandRoofing/Project%20Photos/2008%20Norris%20Round%20Rock/2008NorrisElderPlace1Cricket.jpg

Unfortunately, I don’t have a photo of this bunged up cricket from an angle, but the center piece is gapped on each side where it lays over & it’s about one inches worth of a fishmouth on each side @ the center of the layover. Also, the edges @ the trim have rusting. The trim on this chimney (in a lot of areas of the house, not just the cricket) need replacement, however you’d think that insurance should pay for the trim R & R (remove existing & @ least labor to put the same piece back on, if not replace with new).

So, anyone have opinions or information on code they can share? I need to get these first two completed pretty soon… the first one (dead valleys) being the most important one I have cooking right now.
Thanks.

A “dead valley” is a design defect that requies alternative drainage methods - that is, if you are referring to a valley that has no (or negative) pitch. Otherwise, it simply needs proper base flashing. . .

IRC (I think that’s what TX follows for the most part)

**IRC R905.2.8.1 Base and cap flashing. **Base and cap flashing shall be installed in accordance with manufacturer.s installation instructions. Base flashing shall be of either corrosion-resistant metal of minimum nominal 0.019-inch (0.483 mm) thickness or mineral surface roll roofing weighing a minimum of 77 pounds per 100 square feet (3.76 kg/m2). Cap flashing shall be corrosion-resistant metal of minimum nominal 0.019-inch (0.483 mm) thickness.

IRC R905.2.8.3 Crickets and saddles. A cricket or saddle shall be installed on the ridge side of any chimney greater than 30 inches (762 mm) wide. Cricket or saddle coverings shall be sheet metal or of the same material as the roof covering.

Mr. Pope,

Thank you for your response. The 2nd IRC (crickets & saddles) is sufficient for the chimney components, however for the dead valley (where I have the editing & drawing added in over the photo) isn’t really clear as to being required, only how it should be installed & what components should by used.

Since your answer applies to one of my buildings, I will go ahead & forward this information on to him. As to the 2nd structure with the dead valley & stucco situation, I will continue to dig around.

Again, thanks.

See Ranch,

(He goes by the username of “Ranch Hand Roofing” on other Forums)

I told you that these Professional Home Inspectors would be able to get you some code references to to help you document your cause for a proper installation per code.

Now, I hope that someone can find the other exact reference you are looking for.

Ed

Well, I can certainly give more references if you’d like. Chapter 9 covers roof assemblies but you will not find any reference to “dead valleys.” There are generic references that may apply to your concern. Try these on for size. . .

R903.2 Flashing. Flashings shall be installed in such a manner so as to prevent moisture entering the wall and roof through joints in copings, through moisture permeable materials, and at intersections with parapetwalls and other penetrations through the roof plane.

R903.2.1 Locations. Flashings shall be installed at wall and roof intersections; wherever there is a change in roof slope or direction; and around roof openings.Where flashing is of metal, the metal shall be corrosion resistantwith a thickness of not less than 0.019 inch (No. 26 galvanized sheet).

Commentary: In situations where the roof design does not allow for water flow over the roof edges, roof drains must be provided in the roof surface.

R903.4 Roof drainage. Unless roofs are sloped to drain over roof edges, roof drains shall be installed at each low point of the roof. Where required for roof drainage, scuppers shall be placed level with the roof surface in awall or parapet.The scupper shall be located as determined by the roof slope and contributing roof area.

Mr. Pope, you are a savior. Much thanks… I may very well find myself back here for further assistance.

:slight_smile: