Identify carpet fungus

Hello,
When I walked into my apartment yesterday it smelled musty for the first time. Granted it has been raining for the last 30 of 40 days in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Today I discovered fungus growing like mushrooms out of my carpet near an exterior wall.

Can anyone help me identify the fungus and if you know if they are more or less dangerous than other molds/mildew/fungi?

Thanks,
Chuck

smallerfungus.JPG

bigfungus.jpg

Can’t help with identifying it but, Have you pulled up the carpet to see how extensive the root system is underneath. It may be a greaterproblem than what is visible.

Rain outside should not cause growth inside. You’ve got a much bigger problem than trying to identify the type of fungus.

Either your exterior grade is too high, or you have a roof or window leak. It could also be a combination of several defects. The fungus is only a symptom of the real problem.

Wow!

You have a leak!
Get someone in there with the right moisture detection equipment and determine the extent and source of the moisture intrusion.

That fungus may not be the bad stuff, but it lives under the same environment as the bad stuff!

As Jeff posted…

Thanks everyone. The landlord was in this morning with moisture detection equipment that he attached to the cement after pulling up a corner of the apartment.

The area is near a window but we have not seen any evidence of a leak from the window, at least nothing running down the walls. It could be within the wall.

But with the ground around here completely saturated after closer to 45 days of rain (than 30) I wouldn’t be surprised if it is seeping though the foundation cement through either a crack or osmosis (is that the right word?).

Fotunately the landlord is a building inspector and this is his first rental property, so I think he’ll do what is best for both the property and us. I just wonder what the next step is.

1. Get rid of moisture.
  2. Get rid of moisture.
  3. Get rid of moisture! :slight_smile:

Truffles?:wink:

looks like someone dropped beef stogenoff.

Hello Cab1024:

Peziza domiciliana*** (AKA “The Common Indoor Mushroom”) Toxic? Hmmm nothing a little extra garlic won’t take care of…***

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

[quote=Caoimhín P. Connell]
Hello Cab1024:

Peziza domiciliana*** (AKA “The Common Indoor Mushroom”) Toxic? Hmmm nothing a little extra garlic won’t take care of…***

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
[

Mr Connell
I appreciate your post’s I feel your information is so important and I for one will not get involved with testing for mould or giving an openion on it .
I like the idea of staying out of court and facing you or some other well trained scientist .

Roy Cooke sr](“http://www.forensic-applications.com”)

Hello Cab1024:

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
[

oh goody, i love pizza with mushrooms.:mrgreen:](“http://www.forensic-applications.com”)

Check the carpet backing. Is it jute(natural fiber)? Or a synthetic backing? Mould loves jute. If not properly treated the mould will continue to grow. Doug

we used to use jute mat (100’ by 3’ rolls) for errosion on steep slopes till the grass grows. i was told it’s made from coconut hair. i know it holds water like a camel, and it’s heavy when wet.

There are many questions to address to come to a more accurate conclusion as to what’s happening. Hopefully your landlord will properly take care of the situation. An inspection of the exterior around that area would be a good start, looking for cracks/gaps in the building envelope, grade to slab height, exterior surface and drainage to name a few key points. It’s unusual to see mushrooms inside without other indications of water intrusion and mold growth.

Jeff

“Rain outside should not cause growth inside”.

True, however we (my company) are removing the exterior (everything) off of a home do to mold, a stucco failure.

The entire home is under containment, I mean the home is covered from the weather.

Rain last night caused the moisture content of the drywall to rise above acceptable levels.

Find an IICRC certified firm or an HI to look at the problem.

i had the same problem, same fungus too…i can tell by the pictures…
there was a leak in my water heater that went straight into my closet

Have you got quarter dollars growing as well?

If so, could I buy the place?

Here you go, the spores were most likely carried in on someoines shoes;

**Fruiting bodies of the oyster mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus. **

Photo by Ed J. Perry and Gary W. Hickman.

That’s just plain nasty!

It’s also just the tip of the iceberg, literally. Find the moisture source and fix it and get new carpet.

Hello Cab1024:

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
[

Sued any home inspectors lately, Scumbag!](“http://www.forensic-applications.com”)