Fluke Tir & Tir1

Would like to know the differences between the Fluke Tir & Tir1 cameras as related to building inspections.

The difference is about $2,500.00 but the biggest difference is that you are able to input emissivity correction with the TiR1.

FLUKE SPECS

The sensitivity of the TiR1 is much better. I think this is a very important spec for building inspections.

Berg Engineering is offering the TiR1 for $6388.00 delivered.

Building inspection probably needs more emissivity than any other application, so don’t be fooled by public opinion that it is not. The majority of your scans will be indirect measurements and the more indirect they are, the more resolution you will need.

Also, the misconception that correction for emissivity is unnecessary in building science is False. You can get a nice pretty picture, but until you add the numbers you don’t know if it is significant or not. If you use the numbers then you must correct for emissivity and temperature reflect.

John,

David is very correct about emissivity. We get calls all day long about the TiR, and with the exception of ghost hunters I normally talk the customer in to another unit that has on unit emissivity correction.

The difference between the two units are:

1. Thermal sensitivity - 100mk on the TiR and 70mk on the TiR1. Approx 30% better on the TiR1 and a very important statistic for building envelope diagnostics.

2. Emissivity correction - David covered that

3. Voice annotation - A bells and whistles type of feature. You can do a 60 second recording per image with the TiR1.

4. With the TiR1 you get on unit ability to use the Fusion ability with Min / Med / Max in both full screen and picture and picture. With the TiR you only get picture in picture ability.

5. Accuracy on the TiR1 is plus or minus 2C or 2% whichever is greater on the TiR it is plus or minus 5C or 5%.

6. TiR1 has auto hi low temperature spot markers.

7. You get a total of 7 color palettes to choose from with the TiR1 vs 4 for the TiR. This is a nice feature that most people do not cover when they compare the two units. Different color palettes are easier to use in different situations and personally I think the standard blue-red palette is very difficult to get and keep focus with.

Both units come with a 2 year warranty and SmartView 2.1 software free. You also get all upgrades for free.

I cannot stress the importance of training for any unit. If you are thinking about adding infrared to your business, then you are already in to it for $1695 for level I, and in the future another $1695 for level II. So if you are shopping on a budget that is something else to keep in mind.

Jason Kaylor – JJ
VP of Sales
877/207-1244
AC Tool Supply](http://www.aikencolon.com/)
Fluke Thermal Imagers](IBOX99 : Situs Slot Online Gacor Hari ini. Gampang Maxwin & Viral RTP 95% Gacor Di Sini.)
FLIR Thermal Imagers
Fluke TiR1 Resources
FLIR B60 Resources](IBOX99 : Situs Slot Online Gacor Hari ini. Gampang Maxwin & Viral RTP 95% Gacor Di Sini.)
Retrotec Duct & Blower Door](IBOX99 : Situs Slot Online Gacor Hari ini. Gampang Maxwin & Viral RTP 95% Gacor Di Sini.)

I have a TIR and for the price it is a pretty good camera for most home inspection needs, the guys are right about the sensitivity differences. Emissivity is correctable in the software with the TIR but that means longer report time at the office adjusting certain images to determine seriousness. It was the best I could afford at the time and it is serving me well, but I recommend you purchase the best camera you could currently afford because once you start in IR and get more training the more involved you will wish to become. You can see many of these guys that have started with introductory level cameras like the TIR or Bcams have moved on to more expensive higher level cameras as they became more involved with IR. If the TIR is all you can afford it is not a terrible choice for most home inspection and light commercial needs but if you can afford the TIR1 than I would say get it as you always want those additional features eventually.Best of luck.

Amazing how we’ve come from a “good enough” stance to “better invest in a good camera not a good enough one” in just a matter of months.:shock:
I seem to recall saying this when everyone thought the $2000-4000 ones were “good enough”.:wink:

That’s education for ya.

For an example… much of the home inspection is looking for moisture issues.

According to FLIR - ITC … emissivity does NOT need to be adjusted when looking
at moisture anomalies, since the spot temperature is irrelevant. The pattern
is relevant. I can show the text books and copies of my letters with FLIR.

According to FLIR manufacturing, adjusting the emissivity will NOT enhance the
image that is viewed in the IR camera screen. It only affects the spot temperature.
If you do not agree, then call FLIR and argue with them. I have verified this
several times.

If the emissivity is adjusted AFTER the picture is loaded in the software, then it
can enhance the image at that time… and not before. Call FLIR if you do not
agree.

Let’s stay with the facts.

The FLUKE TiR has an accuracy for the spot temperature measurement of
±2 % when measuring high emisssivty areas like the plastic and rubber
associated with residential breakers and romex wire.

This is the same level of tolerance that master electricians use all the time
when doing spot temperature measurements on residential electrical systems
when they use an IR thermometer.

Let’s stay with the facts.

I have verified this with the technical support of a multi-million dollar FLUKE
camera outlet, who was also a Level III thermographer that teaches
classes for U.S. government and others.

Just the facts. Any bets?

OK Let’s just talk about the facts John!

Fact 1

• Flir IR Camera’s are the best in the industry!!

Fact 2

Fact 3

;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-):wink:

OK… that point is irrelevant to my statements…
but FLIR is a very very good camera.

I doubt any of my comments cause FLIR’s reputation
to be damaged…:wink:

Where are we going with this thread? Just looking for clarity before I order a camera.

John,
The bottom line is : you don’t need a $10,000 camera to do home inspections.

Exactly.

I can help you get the lowest price IR camera of it’s kind in the USA. No joke.
I do not sell cameras.

Re-posted with permission from another thread!

**I will not be posting pictures or identifying the location of this inspection for personal/professional reasons. For the purposes of this post the building in question is a Toronto skyscraper.
A plumber was doing repairs Thursday night on a water pipe on one of the upper floors. He finished his work, tested the system and left for the night. When the office staff arrived this morning they were horrified that they found themselves walking on water!
Long story short, I was contracted to inspect and identify areas of concern with my IR Camera. Multiple floors were affected and I estimate that this is a 3 day max. Inspection.
The total cost to client for the IR Inspection,… it will just about pay for my camera!

My point gentlemen, if you are serious about IR Inspections show it. Start with Training ( I recommend ITC for the best IR training in the Industry) and not just Level 1, move to level 2 as fast as possible and don’t expect to be doing this type of work with a BCAM-SD or a Fluke TiR1.
**For inspectors contemplating the use of an IR camera in conjunction with a regular HI, purchase the best camera you CAN’T afford!! There is no such thing as too much camera for a home inspection but I assure you that there is such a thing as not enough camera for most other IR inspections! I’m allready thinking about upgrading my B360 to a P series.

This quote is very true, not only because of the home inspection, but also because when people buy an infrared camera it opens up other type of work (IR inspections). Often I think home inspectors buy a camera to add to their home inspection business, which would be correct thinking. But really, with proper training, that person becomes a thermographer that knows how to do home inspections.

The one thing that should be clarified with that statement is that there are cameras that are too much camera for home inspections (building science thermography). There are many cameras out there that are made for specific applications. FLIR’s GasFindIR series is an example.

Jason Kaylor – JJ
VP of Sales
877/207-1244
Fluke Thermal Imagers](IBOX99 : Situs Slot Online Gacor Hari ini. Gampang Maxwin & Viral RTP 95% Gacor Di Sini.)
FLIR Thermal Imagers
Fluke TiR1 Resources
FLIR B60 Resources](http://www.flir-b60.com/)
Retrotec Duct & Blower Door](IBOX99 : Situs Slot Online Gacor Hari ini. Gampang Maxwin & Viral RTP 95% Gacor Di Sini.)

John we can stay with the facts but they have to be right first. The TiR is [FONT=Boton-Regular][size=1][size=2]± 5 ° C or 5 % (whichever is greater). [/size][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Boton-Regular][size=1][size=2]All manufactures use this ± X amount or X% amount whichever is greater. What I would love to know is if you are looking at something that is 5C and it can be off by 5C does that mean it could be off by as much as 100%? [/size][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Boton-Regular][size=1][size=2]We are using the TiR in this example but all camera stats no matter the manufacture uses this same type of equation for temp accuracy.[/size][/size][/FONT]

Jason Kaylor – JJ
VP of Sales
877/207-1244
FLIR Thermal Imagers
Fluke TiR1 Resources
FLIR B60 Resources](IBOX99 : Situs Slot Online Gacor Hari ini. Gampang Maxwin & Viral RTP 95% Gacor Di Sini.)

[size=1]

[/size]

Mario,

Thanks for the input.

You are welcome John!

BTW Infrared Thermal Imaging (ITI) is a discipline and it can be addicting. I use myself to gauge the direction of the industry and here as an example.
I purchased the Flir BCAM-SD when I first started out. I did my level 1 course and used my camera with all home inspections. One year later the addiction aspect of IR kicked in. I have taken many application courses including my Level 2 training and purchased a better camera. I will also be doing my level 3 training next year. I’m also currently contemplating the purchase of an even better camera.

My advice John, Purchase something that will help you grow with IR in fields other than home inspections. It would be a shame if you could not profit from this technology and your investment doing for example; roof inspections

Good luck with your decision and in your new business venture!!!