Service drop clearance for swimming pools?

Howdy, Electrical Experts!

As we get ready to roll the presses on the second printing of our residential electrical inspection book (thanks to Paul Abernathy and the late, great Gerry Beaumont, may he RIP), it’s come to our attention that we have a discrepancy regarding the minimum height clearance for swimming pools.

Can someone advise, please (without relying on the online residential electrical course, since we will likely need to make a correction there, too)? I believe our source should be the NEC, but Nick asked me to throw the question out to you guys.

Thanks to member Ron [StillTryingtoFindOutHisLastName] for catching this! :wink:

This is from a previous thread. I had to paste it together since the Table could not be copied as it appears in the NEC. For more complete information check out Table 680.8:

Not quite what you’re looking for, but this is what our utility company says about pool clearance.

[FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=2][size=3]AMEREN [/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=2][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=5][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=5][size=3]ELECTRIC SERVICE[/size][/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=5][size=3]**MANUAL **[FONT=Helvetica]800−2 [/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]06/25/09[/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=2]Clearances of Services over Swimming Areas[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][size=2]Although it is possible to have services over swimming areas, this practice is discouraged. It is necessary that the maximum conductor sag under various operating and environmental conditions be determined. Contact your local Ameren representative for assistance.[/size][/FONT]

That’s what we have in a chart in the course (22’6"). The discrepancy is in a graphic that was created by one of our former graphics folks, but the measurement is either old or just wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

If we have any more thumbs-ups or thumbs-downs on this, please keep posting!

(And I couldn’t agree more with CCurrins – the idea of being in an outdoor pool situated beneath a service drop would have me shaking…!)

This is what we follow in florida.

424.1.4.2.4 Overhead wiring. Overhead service wiring shall not pass within an area extending a distance of 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally away from the inside edge of the pool walls, diving structures, observation stands, towers or platforms. Allowances for overhead conductor clearances to pools that meet the safety standards in the National Electrical Code may be used instead.

Can you post the graphic?

almost everything electrical in and around pool, spa, fountain…

Pools and Spas — Part 1 of 3

Pools and Spas — Part 2 of 3

Pools and Spas — Part 3 of 3

Fig. 1. To make sure you are using the correct overhead conductor clearances, consult Table 680.8 for guidance.
Page 2 for 680.8 graphic
http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1541

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/SwimmingPoolInstallations~20021227.htm

hth

Please see attached. (Nick told me not to do this initially.)

The “10 feet away” is not in dispute; it’s the height between the service drop and the pool.

According to the NEC it should be 22.5’ above the water level.

OK, Guys –

Thanks for weighing in. I’m going to correct the measurement in the graphic, and Nick will upload the replacement to the Image Library as soon as he gets it from me.

Be sure to download it for yourselves if you have our CD of images.

Have a great weekend!

Lol…so much for being an author of anything…lol…typical