Fire Rated Garage Door

Not sure if I have the right forum, but anyhow, here we go. My question pertains to the requirements for a Fire Rated Garage Door into the home. It is my understanding that a metal plated hollow door can be used as a garage door, but if it is a hollow door, it must be self-closing. Is this right, and could we elaborate on all the requirements for the different type acceptable doors, please? Thank you for your input.

Check your local jurisdiction - not all areas require the door to be self-closing.

In general, a 20 minute door is required. This can be a solid wood door at least 1-3/8 inches thick, or a rated (listed) door assembly. There should be a data-plate on the jamb side of a listed door.

A non-rated steel 1-3/8 door is also acceptable. That’s usually what you see.

IRC R309.1 Opening protection.
Other openings between the garage and residence shall
be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35
mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less
than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

P.S. Glass in the door is a no-no.

P.S.S. Self closing not required around here.

To be precise… pedestrian fire rated garage door…

I know the UBC requires 1 3/8 door to be self closing and self latching. There should also be weather stripping to provide a smoke seal. That’s the way it’s done here.

Self closing is a requirement for proper gas seperation (carbon monoxide from car fumes) than for fire separation. The door is for fire separation. We do require a closer, but it is for gas!