Exterior tankless water heater vent clearance

Bosch tankless water heater vent approx. 5’ below kitchen window. What’s the proper clearance? Safety Concern? (Black vent hood to the right of AC unit).

Thanks in advance.

I would not think that would be allowed just because of possible blockage if i am seeing things right.

According to the standards of installation. This is not safe and needs to be away from window or the window must be secured or fixed.
I do agree that it can be blocked or even have a barbeque placed in the front. Clearance to windows and doors is generaly 5-6 feet but can be as low as 3 feet according to your authority having the final say.:slight_smile:

May be alright for the window but snow may cover the vent in that location.
See: http://www.boschhotwater.com/Portals/7/TechManuals/StainlessSteelConcentricVentManual11_2009.pdf

Brian it depends on “Propane or natural gas”.
Since we don’t know what model it is I exercised caution and picked Propane. Plus I don’t care what the installation tells me. I know from experience three to five feet is safe and acceptable by most jurisdictions. This is what I go by.:slight_smile:

I didn’t see any distinction made in that sample installation brochure. Why did you indicate there is a difference?

Well documented inherent Dangers of Propane over natural gas.
Natural gas is plumbed in by gas techs.
Propane can and is done sometimes by home owners.Sometimes the bottle is put in the basement.This is why we take this into consideration when making recommendations.
The five to six foot rule away from doors and open windows is on the eye of caution only,not a code or rule.Most will allow you to fallow the codes but this does not mean it is a good idea.

Anyone think when the AC is running it my hamper proper venting of the WH?

Very odd! Not allowed here!

What kind of documentation?

Propane is heavy and will sit in pockets in your basement. You cant smell it unless you sniff the floor. It travels quickly with air movement. The installation shows its being installed in the basement.
It can be installed by the homeowner.
The tanks can be played with.
The tank can be installed inside by amature.
CO detectors may be placed too high to be effective.
CO detectors may not be sensitive enough.
If you take any safety training on Propane, natural gas and oil
you can bet your intructors will explain more to you.
All this because you say it can be installed according to code.
Remember as inspectors we don’t even mention codes.
How many installers do you know fallow logic and not manufacturer installation?:slight_smile:
Just because it says you can have 18 inches clearance from combustibles
will you try to go as close as 18 inches?

Yes propane is heavier that air but that has nothing to do with the question at hand.

And Propane “bottles” are not allowed inside homes here either.

12 inches (US) 36 inches (Can) according to the manufacturer’s document that Brian posted. Clearance requirements for listed appliances will be in the manufacturer’s installation documentation. Just make sure you reference the right document for the model installed.

Yes , this is for sure ! Has been in many articles years ago when propane was causing homes to blow up due to being heavier than air . It stayed low in the basement and built volume until the furnace pilot light ignited it . :smiley: