neighbours from hell

http://www.yourhome.ca/App_Themes/YourHome/standard/images/logoPrint.gif

Aaron: Shocked by stories of ‘neighbours from hell’

April 15, 2011
Bob Aaron
Special to the Star

In my column on April 2, I wrote about a study by Halifax Home Insurance in the U.K. which reported that more than 360,000 Britons, or one in 10 people, moved home because of irritating neighbours.
I expressed my doubts that that statistic would apply in Canada and I invited readers to contact me if they moved because of a “neighbour from hell.” To say that I was inundated by emails would be an understatement. I stopped counting after three dozen.
After reading far more emails than I expected, I’m now prepared to reconsider: it seems that many more people than I thought move to get away from their neighbours.
Many readers wrote to complain about junk in the neighbour’s backyard, noisy “boom box” speakers, rowdy friends, drifting smoke from cigarettes and marijuana, weekly parties, loud music, and even conversations across the backyard between adjacent neighbours on each side.
Don wrote in to say, “Were ‘bad neighbour’ insurance available, we would certainly have bought it.”
Several readers described musical jam sessions in the basement or garage of the home next door or across the road. Typically the sessions involved electric guitars, amplifiers, and drum sets which were in use all day, or all night, or both. Arno found an effective way to end the nightmares. When the musicians were evicted for rent arrears, he convinced his daughter to buy the house. Problem solved.
Sandra complained that there is no Toronto bylaw prohibiting this kind of noise between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. She is ready to move.
Diane emailed from the 905 area. She has called the police 40 times complaining of harassment, but tells me that they have not been helpful.
Lisa lasted eight years with the neighbour from hell next door. This neighbour delighted in repeatedly complaining about non-existent noise coming from Lisa’s house. Every time the police arrived, they would find the house in darkness and everyone sleeping. The neighbours damaged her pool equipment, threw eggs onto the pool deck, dumped soap powder into the pool and put a loudspeaker in their window tuned to static at full volume.
“The police wouldn’t do anything and neither would the courts,” she wrote.
Back in 1985, Marcia moved into a townhouse only to discover that the neighbours kept a noisy goat in the backyard. Marcia discovered that a single goat is regarded as a pet under city bylaws.
At the hottest time of the following summer, Billy was slaughtered in the garage. The stench survived Billy by several days, and eventually Marcia’s family put their house up for sale.
Diana moved after discovering an illegal rooming house next door. She once found a neighbour who was either drunk or dead lying in her driveway. Another time, the neighbours were changing tires and working on their cars in her driveway. After living with loud music, rabbit droppings and cat urine on her doorstep, she reports she is pleased to be out of the house now.
Kevin Thomson is a Royal LePage sales rep in Oakville. “(Moving) happens more frequently than you imagine. I myself moved last year after parents moved three young men in next door to me.” Thomson describes them as “rude spoiled brats” who were left to “run amuk (sic) like a frat house.”
After living in her house for three years, another reader had a neighbour from hell move into the house behind her. Two large Dobermans were kept in the backyard permanently. There was a heavy rain the following spring and the neighbour was on higher ground. It was only after waves of liquid dog poop started flowing under the fence that the reader moved out. Her two next door neighbours moved shortly afterward.
For anyone considering buying a house or condo, the lesson from my torrent of emails seems to be: Check out the neighbours before you buy.
Bob Aaron is a Toronto real estate lawyer and board member of the Tarion Warranty Corp. He can be reached at bob@aaron.ca. Visit www.aaron.ca.

http://www.yourhome.ca/tops-counter?uid=974309&counter=

](“http://www.aaron.ca/”)

Having lived beside One as young couple in our first home we had one .
I feel sorry for all those people who have suffered like we did .
The best thing in our life is when we moved .
Seeing the Actions of ("Brian A. MacNeish ") a guest on this Forum I would not be surprised if his neighbors feel that way about him .

Ahh yes I have been there more than once. My last home had kids that screamed all day long and the parents put up a trampoline 1 foot from our fence…right beside my newly made gazebo. The neighbour to my left had a kleenex box dog that yapped and yapped. Then to make matters worse the couple across the road split up and she then decided she was gay and there were parties with cars being parked on the front lawn. We moved!
PS thanks for your input Roy on the century home.
Scott

Roy:

You have become a piece of crap! You have no idea about my home, my neighbours and relationships with them… no more than I have about you. At your age, get yourself checked for early dementia with an obsessive-compulsive side affliction…something is happening to you!

I guess I am now seeing why yourself and Wanda were thrown off these boards by the ESOP committee…funny how you got back on…oh right, Nick the boss, overruled them!

This recent innuendo now piques my interest…I’ll have to make the time to visit the WENDY CHRONICLES that you’re so infamous for…longer term members will already know about these, not newbies!

No Brian I do see the way you operate on this Board.
I think you are an evil person who can see no good and looks at those who love Nachi to see what you can complain about .
You continue to show just how jealous you are .
I give mini free seminar and all who attended where extremity pleased.
No you go through all their posts to find some thing to complain about .
You continually find fault with what Nachi does for this industry .
It seems to me that you are a mean person who has little nice to say on the NACHi site .
It is so unfortunate you are this way .
I am sorry that the truth upsets you much.

All the best … Roy

Glad I was able to help please let us know how the Home Inspection worked out and how Close I am to what to look for .

Roy

Oh bad neighbours, Iv’e had my share, and no doubt as teenagers me and my sister were bad neighbours. One particularly disturbing one was the way a woman chose to wake her infant son in the morning, screaming, yelling and name calling, needless to say I was glad to move.
Currently enjoying tranquility in a crazy city. One acre of land, the only annoyances are garbage eating raccoons, now my garbage is getting close to being sterile, and I have started composting!

Brian see how you post and operate on this Forum .
It might be a good idea for you to Print this letter and take it to your Family Therapist and ask his opinion .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
**Originally Posted by Brian A. MacNeish http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif **
Roy:

You have become a piece of crap! You have no idea about my home, my neighbours and relationships with them… no more than I have about you. At your age, get yourself checked for early dementia with an obsessive-compulsive side affliction…something is happening to you!

***I guess I am now seeing why yourself and Wanda were thrown off these boards by the ESOP committee…funny how you got back on…oh right, Nick the boss, overruled them! ***

This recent innuendo now piques my interest…I’ll have to make the time to visit the WENDY CHRONICLES that you’re so infamous for…longer term members will already know about these, not newbies!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Brian I do see the way you operate on this Board.
**I think you are an evil person who can see no good and looks at those who love Nachi to see what you can complain about . **
**You continue to show just how jealous you are . **
**No you go through all their posts to find some thing to complain about . **
**It seems to me that you are a mean person who has little nice to say on the NACHi site . **

**All the best … Roy **

No, Roy…go look in the mirror!! The original post had nothing to do about you or myself. I hadn’t even posted in this thread…but you decided to say something personally derogatory about myself without being prompted (that’s obsessive and with you…it’s a compulsion you cannot control!!)

ROY’s post:
***"Having lived beside One as young couple in our first home we had one .
"I feel sorry for all those people who have suffered like we did .
The best thing in our life is when we moved .
Seeing the Actions of ("Brian A. MacNeish “) a guest on this Forum I would not be surprised if his neighbors feel that way about him .”

…and in the past you have posted untrue remarks about my family!! YOU ARE A SICKO and **now I truly understand how you bullied a female member (**the Wendy Chronicles) to leave these boards!! And even better understand why you were thrown off these boards, only to suck your way back in!!

More than pathetic!! Running around Nick like a little excited puppy, all the while unknowingly happy to be used as a sales TOOL!!

Thanks Brian I am not surprised ,You are sure that you do not have a problem , This is typical with some people they lack the ability to take advice .
I wish you all the best .

I find it strange you are the only one who keeps posting about how Bad NACHI is .
I guess out of all these 1,000 Canadian Members you are the only Canadian non member who can see they are all wrong .

**You continue to show just how jealous you are . **
**No you go through all their posts to find some thing to complain about . **
**It seems to me that you are a mean person who has little nice to say on the NACHi site . **

**All the best … Roy **

[/quote]