Roof plumbing vent flashing.

I have written this up many times before as improperly flashed. But now that I have an irate client, I would like to know how other home inspectors comment on this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Looks like a second layer of roofing while keeping the original boots…a cost cutting short cut to be sure…

No, it was a full tear off. I just learned that the homeowner did it himself (which explains why it touched a nerve).
I stated that it was improperly flashed.

If that is a single layer roof then You are correct Sir…

Both stacks needs a proper Flashing Asphalt deteriorates in the sun and is usually a temp fix.
Copper stack looks to be on an angle and in Canada it should be longer to be above the snow .

I know I’m right :slight_smile:
Sometimes we just need confirmation (like when a client is being unreasonable!) lol

FYI…Here is what I sent the client.

Others answered for you already but just remember in general to simply show or explain how it should be done and why.
FOG Fact ,Opinion, Guidance

Always good advice Bob. I usually find that if I question something, I’m over-thinking it.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid :slight_smile:

Anytime I see black jack, roof tar, etc I use a note listing the issues/problems. Especially when the tar, etc is used around plumbing vent pipes.

· The use of some type of roof sealant, tar or black jack was observed on the roof surface. This is typically the sign of past or present leaking, and is considered a temporary repair. In addition, annual checks or maintenance is usually required when these types of materials are used.

With the crack in the tar i’m sure its already leaking.Hopefully what you sent the homeowner shows him how to do it. It should not take him more than an hr and less than twenty bucks to fix .Even if he hires some it should be a cheap fix.

Now to call it out is questionable in my opinion.
Did you see water stains on the roofs decking in the attic where the plumbing stack protrusions exited the roof?
Did you see a nail pattern that would indicate they nailed the metal flashing for the plumbing and wetstackprotrustions ?
This may be only a cosmetic issue. The plastic cement may have been added as a precautionary measure.
SUSPECT: Roof protrusions venting flashing have been sealed with bitumen asphalt caulk around the asphalt shingle cuts and stack only.
This may have been a precautionary measure only.
IE: ONLY If you found no signs of staing.
RECOMMEND: A licensed registered roofing company do a roof deck parameter investigation of all flashing, protrusions for weather and water entry .

I have written this up many times before as improperly flashed.
Please tell me why you think it is improper.
Fact please.

The manufactures instructions tell me it’s wrong and I would comment on it. If the guy is mad then maybe just explaining that your there to comment on defects and in your opinion it’s not a proper installation.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/How_to_Use/Flashings.pdf

Again I see no red flag infractions from your photo.
The explanation of your observation leaves me asking questions and should not.
The wet or plumbing stack ( roof deck protrusion ) appears 6" in height,and appears to have a vent, wet, plumbing stack flashing.
Is it good?
The attic inspection is part and parcel to many of your reports observation.
Could you explain to me the violations please so I may understand.

Here is a plumbing link. one-and two- family dwellings.

The vent, wet stack, plumbing protrusions flashing being covered is of no consequence.

This illustration shows a open or exposed flashing above the 50% mark or horizontal line-of the plumbing stack.
Is it OK?

Did you see **water stains **on the decks sub-straight?
Did you see fastener patterns in the decks sub-straight indicating the likely-hood of a installed plumbing flashing?

Evidence is 99 percent of the argument in a court of law.

A null hypotheses must be used on*** every component ***within the home inspection.

By building on ones observations may insure the likelyhood of a well inspected residential building.
JMO
Speculation without merit can and will put you and your E&O to the test.

Robert, explain how water entering crack at “tar flashing” at uphill side of roof/flashing will escape?
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f77/52136d1328200765t-roof-plumbing-vent-flashing-105_4589.jpg

What are you calling improper and what are they irate about?

I agree with Robert.

Except: I would not Recommend to call someone to do the job I was hired to do in Fort Pierce, FL.

:):):slight_smile:

Chris, that ‘crack’ is not in ‘tar flashing’. That spot is almost impossible to keep the shingle sealed down onto the flange below and does not necessarily indicate a leak.