Interesting camera…

Has anyone tried using one of these 50x zoom cameras to take photos of the roof from the ground? I don’t know if it would really work, but it seems like an interesting idea…

Wow. You could really do some detective work on the side for lawyers with that camera.

You would need a tripod

Chris

these were taken with sony dsc-h2 52X Smart Zoom™ hand held no tripod the front garage door was across the street
the back were across a divided 6 lane boulevard
the moon was from ground level
all in vga format no hi-res

DSC00003 (Small).JPG

DSC00003 (Small).JPG

DSC00005 (Small).JPG

DSC00008 (Small).JPG

macro isn’t too shabby either…

Looks good Barry.
Sony is very good at cameras.

Usually the higher zoom would make every movement magnified and hard to steady.

Here are a couple from my Sony at $260 not bad but yours looks great.(16 zoom)

[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

Very cool, Barry!

I use an sx265 with “only” 20X optical and digital on top of that for an effective 80X zoom. Current lens stabilization technology is astounding and yields very clear images with handhelds and high magnification. I can actually see more detail by snapping a photo and zooming the display than I can with binoculars. The new high resolution detectors also lend themselves to digital zoom as the native resolution is multiples of what you can use in a report anyway.

The 50X optical will also have digital zoom capability for even higher effective magnification. However, the trade-off is in size and weight. The SX265 is just about perfect size for my use.

Bob, based on one of your posts here on the forum I purchased the Sony DSC-HX30V with 20x optical zoom and I am very happy with it:p. As others have mentioned I can view roof conditions much better than with my binocualars.

Cool.
I have the cheaper 16 zoom but still that entire series is great.

Really rally want the Android camera next and tempted to buy the Nikon just because it is on the market already.
Understand battery life is so bad that it is only good for 50 shots and I am not taking 5 batteries for an inspection.

like my nikon 21x wide zoom, no attics or crawlspaces thou, old lady might have a fit…

It would be interesting to see how the resolution is at that magnification.

With image stab and true optical not DIGITAL zoom it could work.

I would love to play with one.

I do like Cannon :slight_smile: