Leaks at PEX connections, advice needed

I inspected a home last month that had leaks in attic at PEX water line connections, I was called back for a re-inspection and found one connection had been repaired, I called it an improper repair-see photo, metal clamps were used. I had noted in original report that the entire system needs evaluation by a licensed plumber because other connections appear to be failing, corrosion and water stains were found. Seller is saying because they aren’t actively leaking now that everything is good. Your thoughts? (I have my own just want to hear yours)

Photo 1 is blurry, but appears to using typical pex fittings. Photo 2 was done by a handyman or the homeowner, not a plumber. The fittings are not approved for use with water distribution piping.

By the way, did you call out the lack of insulation on pipes in the attic???

Many of the insurance companies are starting to have concerns with pex in Florida.

Radiator hose clamps are not acceptable for this application.

I would recommend that the whole house have new water lines installed.

Joe,

Yes, improper fittings used. Here in AZ I almost never see insulation on PEX water lines, so the problem many people have is that in the summer they have no cold water.

Mary Ann

Greg,

Yes, I recommended that a licensed plumber evaluate knowing that this system needs replacement. Seller did improper repair and wants to call it good. Thank you for your reply.

Mary Ann Chiquete

There is a class-action settlement currently underway. Brass fittings manufactured by Zurn are the subject of that action.

http://www.plumbingfittingsettlement.com/

Are these different from/in addition to the QPex and MBPex fittings or did they “zero” in on a manufacturer # (F1807) for the before mentioned QPex fittings?

As far as I know, the settlement is specific to brass fittings manufactured by Zurn. Zurn is the only manufacturer of QPex brass fittings, and the largest producer of brass fittings used in PEX systems.

I am not familiar with the MBPex fittings.

What type of concern?

You’ve got to be kidding.

I’m pretty sure Greg is referring to the Zurn pex fittings system only.

Not sure I agree with him though.

This piping actually is a Shark bite brand of pex type piping and all fittings are of the same brand, little sharks on them all. Many of the fittings had signs of leaking. I recommended that the entire system be evaluated by a licensed plumber.

Mary Ann, the situation you described are the ones where the person either does not take your advice (which was the right one btw) and they attempt to whittle away at the problem one discrepancy at a time. If you charge them for every call back they will get tired of paying you to come back an tell them it isn’t what you recommended. Don’t do these for free…your time is worth money. By keeping you in the loop on this problem they hope to break you down until you finally say…oh wth and say it is okay. When they call again, ask if they did what you advised…if not tell them you don’t need to come back until they do. Extract yourself from “their” problem. You did your job, you gave good advice, now it is up to them to follow it or not.

On these kinds of jobs, I keep a log of what, when, where, how and who on my schedule sheets attached to my copy of the report forms just in case I need to revisit it.

Thanks Joe.

It only took a couple of posts to see why this site isn’t worth coming to anymore.

It is getting the same reputation as poly in Florida.

I know it is hard to understand when you are not working in Florida. In this case I would recommend that they be replaced because it was leaking at the time of the inspection.

What would you say to the client that calls you because they just got a letter from their insurance company telling them that all of their pex lines need to be replaced in the next 30 days or the policy will be canceled? That is why I warn my clients that their insurance company may want the lines replaced.

I suspect that it will not be a gray area within the next year, the insurance companies will take the same position that they have with poly.

Yesterdays inspection had Pex. Warned client that insurance company may have a problem with it. Client calls today to thank me for the heads up. They contacted their agent today, the only company that will write a policy for them is Citizens (if I certify that the system is in good condition). The additional premium for Pex is over a 1000 per year.

Greg is correct. We see/repair alot of brittle pex. Cpvc seems to be what everyone uses now. I have been involved with at least three pipe failures during routine repairs(remove supply lines, close valves) where the pex piping has just flat out snapped off.

Did anyone else notice the Home Depot bag and pex fitting bag under the pipe. Its almost as if the homeowner got up there, read the directions and dropped it.

Good advice to the client and standing your ground for what is right.

After the first re-inspection showed improper repairs on PEX type fittings, they had a licensed plumber come in and replace all the fittings in the attic. I spoke to the plumber and he said that the PEX clamps (not the hose clamps that the home owner used, which was a joke) were improperly installed, some were cracked and causing the fittings to leak.

Thanks for the update Mary Ann. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing Mary Ann.

Those pex fasteners appear to be nothing more than hardware hose clamps and not a recognized pex pipe fastening system