Dirt Streak Bellow Vinyl Siding

It seems like rain is being caught in the bottom flashing of this siding and then running out the seam. Is there something wrong with the flashing detail?

im not even sure which way is up on your picture…

Give us a break!

The starter script for the vinyl siding acts like a gutter.

What you’re looking at is a joint for this “gutter system”.

If there is no water intrusion at the interior (which is your responsibility) then this is not a significant concern.

This is up to you to determine, not from us 1000 miles from your location.

The pic needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise i.e. the brick is on the first floor with vinyl on the second floor.
Ten miles or 1000 miles…doesn’t really matter much on the internet does it.
My question is…is there a better way this bottom flashing could have been done?

The answer to your question is “yes”!

The reality is; this is how it’s done everywhere.

The other reality is that most moisture intrusion is associated with conditions such as this (particularly if inadequate flashing is not installed which cannot be assessed during a home inspection). Unfortunately home inspectors are not prepared to provide documentation of this particular circumstance.

Use of a starter strip instead of “J” channel alleviates this type of staining.

David, you are an intellectual. I am positive a tone of opinion that is fitting the member can be offered. JMO

Staining is from a fastener. WHY?
Also expansion allowing the siding to heave.
It maybe to tight. You install siding lose. So each piece can expand and contract alone. Without appling load to any connecting length.

Questions.
That element (ledge or shelf) is wrong. IMO
A 15% angle. The brick should be visible. Applied atop of the masonry.

If you are using wood or plastic for the shelf:

1. First a Z flashing, IE, ice shield before any metal or plastic… 2) shelf of ledge with a 15% angle towards the yard , 3) counter flashing/s 4) the starter strip, 5) A bead of caulk (silicon) on laping or protrusions.
    This is an example only. It looks rough but effective.

2. Can you see flashing? 2) or the counter flashing on top? 3) or are you looking at the claded element only ?

A) If they used a proper fastener the staining will not appear.
B) If it was water/weather tight the fastener would not bleed.
The fastener is degrading.

Water management??? IR or moisture meter on the exterior & interior walls. Intersection and wall openings.

OBSERVATION: Staining on the brick veneer in one spot on the east wall.
SUSPECT: Water entry behind the siding, or shelf cladding.
All fasteners should be stainless. IE, Rust and stain resistant. Hot dipped galvanized,
RECOMMEND: That area of concern be evaluated by a licensed siding installer.

Rob

Look at the photo. It’s where the trim overlaps. Water gets in the trim and comes out of the overlap. Why would you caulk the overlaps? The water can’t get out then.

http://inspectapedia.com/exterior/Vinyl_Siding_Inspect.htm#JChan

The photo pixelated when I zoom.
Ether/or That should not be happening. As explained, I would prefer to see a ledge flashed properly then the siding applied.
You can not see the transition. Leaves to many variables that may allow weather or water migration.

Any other photos.
PS: I installed my fare share and used house wrap sense 1983.

Mr. Edwards. You hit the nail on the head when pointing to vinyl siding defects.
Starter strip, under sill, drip cap, 3 types J channels I can think of.
Poor installation practices at intersections and openings can have very negative effects on the interior wall. Add shear and the sky is the limit.
So a wall cavity with insulation as a medium for absorption, it becomes a long inspection.
When I see staining on siding my ladder and probing go to work.
the interior is faster now. I have a 120x160 fluke IR.

That was my main reason for the IR purchase. A tin job in October.
I caught 80 more suspect moisture with my IR camera and saved time.
5.45 hour inspect on < 2100 sqft.

My home done this way what I did was just drill a series of 3/8 holes every 8 inches so the water drained out everywhere and not in any one concentrated area.

The transition is quite simple when you think of it.
You separate both materials to allow expansion and contraction, like step flashing. So they can move independently.
The are 3 flashing steps and the materials are metal and rubberized membrane.
The later did not exist when I flashed the components.

1. flashing under the brick in an 15% angled rowlock position.
  2. Flashing under the starter siding.
    If you wish you can add membrane from the 4" up the sheathing and 2’ onto the brick. onto the brick

Thanks for the replies.
I guess if the builder had used a proper starter strip, this wouldn’t have happened.

LOCK_STARTER.jpg

Vinyl siding 101
http://www.architectmagazine.com/continuing-education/Sponsor/Vinyl_Siding_Institute.aspx

is that under an opening by chance?

Carl, whats up? you are not leaving us.
Your membership is due.