Block Foundation Dry Stack

This block foundation wall was a dry stack which did not include the use of mortar to bond the block. The cells of the block were poured with concrete in approximately every fourth block. No failure of the foundation wall or movement was noted. The wall had 5 courses of block on top of a concrete basement foundation wall. So I was not concerned that much with settlement. I was more concerned with lateral movement from soil pressure and moisture intrusion. Just haven’t seen this before and wondering how much of a deal you guys would make of it.

No responses??

Hey Kenneth. A couple of weeks ago I spent a few hours reading about dry stack foundations. If you google it, you will find plenty o information. More than you will find here apparently :wink:

Thanks Juan

I just have a hard time understanding this type of “construction.” I can’t think of any circumstance where I would consider a “dry-stack” to be acceptable for the foundation of a structure.

Maybe I’ve just been in CA for too long…

Yeah IDK. Seems lazy to me. I looked it up when someone posted a photo here that may have been a dry stack. Apparently some people think it works.

I’m with you Jeff. I am having a hard time accepting this one too. I pointed it out to the buyer and told them it was unusual and what I thought the disadvantages were. I suggested that they do their own research on it. You could actually see outside light between the blocks. I never thought properly laid block walls were that difficult.

You shouldn’t be able to see light from what I read. The cells should be filled and the both sides should have a surface bond. Keep us updated.

It’s much easier for me in my state. This type of “foundation” (if you can call it that) would be referenced as a major structural defect. You wouldn’t be able to get insurance on a structure built like that…

Can remember only 3 of those types we’ve done/waterproofed.

All had gaps/openings between the top-of-the-poured wall and first course of blocks. Don’t have pic’s of those sry.
Here’s kind-of what i mean…

http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/November25201102#5678850623989661666
Here,gaps at-along bottom of poured wall and footing, see scrapers.Some water entered here.
Could also stick a scraper (water was entering) those 3 between top of poured wall and blocks. These few were NOT deeper than 5 1/2’ and no wall longer than 30’ (bungalow’s)so maybe that is why we didn’t see any bowing at,that-point-in-time.