3 things your Home Inspector would never tell you

This guy hit the nail on the head with his website. Read through it. Very few who belong to this association will agree with most of what he writes, but then, the truth is hard to bear sometimes.

Maybe true I hope not. 90 % of my business comes from agents. I do my inspections for the people who are paying me and I have had some agents mad at me and some quit using me(that is fine) if they question it I tell them if you where buying this home wouldn’t you want me to be up front with the problems. I get to inspection early get exterior and roof done before they get there they love that.

Another hyperbolic hatchet job from homebuyersadvocate, taking the position that the home inspector places informing and protecting his/her client low on the priority, if at all. Assigning the worst motives and calling people idiots is not the way to have a useful discussion, but that is not what these folks are interested in. Scaring people into a condition of absolute loathing and distrust seems to be the main agenda.

What utter bulls**t.

Good agents want the HI to find everything and present what is really going on because they want what is best for their clients. Also, knowing everything gives them leverage to get the best price for their client, which makes look like the hero.

Any agent acting in the manner described would open themselves up to huge lawsuits, and I don’t know any agents who want to be sued.

I agree I worked with many good agents .

Yes there are some poor agents .
If you like that kind OK but to me no f in way did I need their work .

I disagree with you Ian. Maybe things are different in California, or may be the whole industry is changing. Most of the realtors I have run into only want to close the deal. They hand out a list of the three cheapest and non invasive inspectors they can find. After all, they did not pick the inspector, but they did lead the client to who they want the client to use.

The inspection I did last week the agent was all over me because ‘her guy’ only takes 45 minutes for an average inspection. I was there for four hours, found multiple issues, and my client negotiated $39,000 in savings due to the report. Shes mad because the fist inspection showed nothing (client did not qualify) and saw $2400 dollars in commission disappear.

If Florida they have made it too easy to get a license. Good inspectors are loosing business from the ones that have learned how to market but not inspect. If you do not believe me look on the inspector facebook pages at the questions that are being asked. Most of them are basic. And then the there is never a clear answer given. Well, there is, but it usually gets muddled by other who dont know.

LOL… give it some time, you’re still ‘wet behind the ears.’

I agree it’s a load of B.S.
Another scare monger writer trying to make a name for itself.

Total horse crap.

InterNACHI members gobble up every educational offering we put out. We can’t develop courses fast enough to satisfy the appetite for advanced education. Our House of Horrors in Colorado has 900 inspectors a month going through it. (We’re building three more across North America to supply the demand for our advanced hands-on training). Our hands-on classroom classes sell out every month (We turn inspectors away). Some of our technical online videos have had more than 100,000 views (there are only 30,000 inspectors in North America). Our inspection textbooks sell by the pallet. Our technical inspection article page is our third highest traffic page. Many of the CMI applications we get show that some inspectors have hundreds, even thousands of completed CE hours. InterNACHI offers 45 separate certifications and members are complaining that they want more. Our technical webinars have thousands of inspectors attending every month.

Why is our industry so big on education if they are intentionally trying to overlook defects?

That is interesting…100,000 views. wonder how many inspectors are taking the same course over and over each year?

**"When it comes to writing the home inspection report, home inspectors who are slaves to these agents, have a unique way in which they compile and ultimately write the information in a report form. Many of these types of inspectors will write their reports in a way that is not offensive to the buyer, seller or agent and will tip-toe around the important issues or by spinning the issues in a way that is not offensive to anyone yet, still covers the butt of the inspector in the even you ever wish seek compensation from the inspector.Some inspectors will actually hide items within the body of the report in hopes that you will not read the entire document. And then there are those inspectors who use checklist reports which are vague at best."

That part of the article never says “overlook defects”…read it again.

Amen

Is that you Bushart?

Good grief so about third of all inspectors in North America are in Florida!?

The Industry of Home Inspector Training right???

Because the churn and burn of new inspectors is a Great Busine$$ model. :wink:

Bull crap. It’s not a course, it’s some of our free technical videos on www.nachi.tv that have had more than 100,000 views. My point is that inspectors are going way above and beyond the call of duty to increase their competence. And InterNACHI is their go-to source for education and training.

Not really. It’s just that originally the state made it simple for contractors to get a home inspection license and inexpensive since then for them to keep it. They aren’t doing inspections.

InterNACHI members aren’t just looking to take the **minimum **training to get licensed or certified. Those claiming that are full of crap.

Members are constantly trying to learn more and more about systems and components to improve competency.

Here, look at our traffic stats. You can tell a lot about InterNACHI members by watching what they search for and visit:

Well, let’s see one of your reports. You are a CMI, are you not? and you are licensed in Florida as a home inspector, are you not?

What do ya say nick, you and me?..one home…let’s really see who’s full crap here.

I’m not a home inspector anymore. I only offer commercial inspections. I haven’t done a home inspection in 20 years. What’s that have to do with the bull crap nonsense about our industry INTENTIONALLY not reporting defects? Stay on thread topic. Again, if that were true, why are so many InterNACHI members going way above and beyond what their state requires? Why seek advanced competency if you are going to play patty-cake ASHI inspector on every inspection?