Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 3/8/06, 3:13 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Advertising

I am considering a new kind of ad they are doing in our paper, It is a stick on ad that was on the front page of our paper today for girl scout cookies, basically I would do one on the front page of the real estate section on sunday, you can peel the ad off and stick it on the fridge, cupboard or your forehead if you like, kind of a neat idea, gets your name in front of the people looking at homes, but I am waiting to hear what the cost would be and determine if it would be worth it.

Just got the call back...$79.00 per thousand, two zone minimum and will only do on the front page

Last edited by msaxton; 3/8/06 at 3:44 PM..
Old 3/8/06, 5:35 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaxton
you can peel the ad off and stick it on . . . your forehead
Got my attention.

$79 per thousand sounds pretty good. Make sure you track the results.
Old 3/8/06, 7:07 PM
InterNACHI Member

Iím having a 180X160 pixel animated gif ad put on the local TV stationís website tomorrow. Itís linked to my web page. Their home page gets 80,000 unique hits per month. They asked me if I wanted to do some TV ads. I said not at this time. Has anyone done TV spots and how did it go?
Old 3/8/06, 7:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

Oh forgot, it will also be displayed on their real estate page. On their real estate page they get a 30% click through rate on ads.
Old 3/8/06, 7:09 PM
New User

Please Note: tmattingly is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

We use the front page newspaper sticky notes at my other job. They work very well for that, but it is on a different budget and it is a food product that we sell. We do the local newspaper and spend about $26,000 to $28,000 hitting 350,000 newspapers, all on the front cover and they are noticeable. The local paper uses a yellow sticky.

It is not expensive when looked at on a per unit cost, but to get any penetration it gets expensive. With that said, it still works for me at my other job quite well and I would love to see if it works for you.

10,000 for $790 sounds good. Our return (which again is a food product) is 8% on this ad. You could see 2% to 4%. That would be sweet.
Old 3/8/06, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLilly
Has anyone done TV spots and how did it go?
Yep. $2,400 for 30 seconds. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Worst $2,400 I ever spent. Think how many margaritas that would buy. Oh, now I'm all depressed. It might take more than two margaritas, a margarita pie, pizza, and jalapena nachos to get me out of this depression. Anyone wanna be depressed with me? I can promise good margaritas and a unique margarita pie.
Old 3/8/06, 10:03 PM
InterNACHI Member

Wow thatís not good. Theyíre offering me around $300 per spot done at the news hour. There is a potential of 169,000 households seeing the TV ad. They say it will take several runs to get any effect. Even at $300 I donít want to take the chance on it.
Old 3/8/06, 10:10 PM

I was in prime time, 7:30-8:00, major network, a special report on real estate here in San Diego. Other sponsors/advertisers included all the top real estate agents in San Diego. They had already committed, which is why I did. I think that type of advertising is better left for business that are in their mature phase as opposed to start-up and growth phase.
Old 3/8/06, 10:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

One thing I was thinking about is home inspectors arenít household names. You can name the car dealers, restaurants etc. in a town but home inspectors are not on the tip of the tongue. I think marketers call it a Q score. I hope my ad on the TV station home page will bring my Q score from next to nothing to a higher level.
Old 3/10/06, 7:56 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Theyíre offering me around $300 per spot done at the news hour. There is a potential of 169,000 households seeing the TV ad. They say it will take several runs to get any effect. Even at $300 I donít want to take the chance on it.
How many of these 169,000 households are in the market to purchase a home this week?

Personally, I think it's a big waste of money.
Old 3/10/06, 8:39 AM
Tracy Wheeler

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I have just been given word that I may be doing a special on a local cable television show entitled "A day in the Life Of "... and in my case, a home inspector. I do not have to pay, just allow the camera crew to tag along with me for the day.
I will fill you in with the results.
Old 3/10/06, 10:58 AM

Be very, very careful about that, about what you sign to give your rights away, and about your rights to view the film and the finished product. Those shows sometimes wind up as traps for investigative reports on the "inconsistent jobs" that home inspectors do. As my attorney advised me when I was asked to do a similar stunt and took the contract to him, "You're signing everything away. You have no rights to view the film, approve editing, or approve the final product." I declined the "opportunity." After all, if the movie stars get to approve their work before it gets released to the public, I should have the same privilege.

Last edited by rray; 3/10/06 at 5:15 PM..
Old 3/10/06, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray
Be very, very careful about that, about what you sign to give your rights away, and about your rights to view the film and the finished product. Those shows sometimes wind up as traps for investigative reports on the "inconsistent jobs" that home inspectors do. As my attorney advised me when I was asked to do a similar stunt and took the contract to him, "Your signing everything away. You have no rights to view the film, approve editing, or approve the final product." I declined the "opportunity." After all, if the movie stars get to approve their work before it gets released to the public, I should have the same privilege.
Very good point, Russ.
Old 3/10/06, 12:13 PM
InterNACHI Member

My page hits have trippled after the ad. It's just the first day though. I hope for good things.
Old 3/10/06, 3:27 PM

Quote:
My page hits have trippled after the ad. It's just the first day though. I hope for good things.
Excellent.

If the hits have tripled, then your bookings should have improved.

Did they not?

Tags
business, card, nickel, thrifty, work