Annual Sales of Existing U.S. Homes

While researching about how home inspectors will save our economy and environment, some statistics about existing homes sales popped up.

Interestingly, there were over 5 million home sales in 2009.

homesales.pdf (159 KB)

Home sales here in KC are the worse in 50 years, as they are nationwide. Average monthly home sales should be 700,000 to be considered as “healthy”. Average now is 298,000.

Some of these sales include bank to bank sales, I bet. Most homes are selling AS IS, so most are not getting inspected. Reaching the agents is easy; getting to the home buyers is what is tough.

Statistics schmatistics.

Not all homes are for sale — and not all that are for sale are selling. Duh.

Not all homes that are sold are inspected. We all know this, too.

All homes, for sale or not, can become more energy efficient and those who own them or rent them can gain — in terms of improved levels of comfort and health as well as financially — from implementing any or all recommendations provided to them in an energy audit performed by a certified energy auditor.

When it’s entirely about putting money into inspectors’ pockets the plan will usually fail since, sadly, most inspectors do. When it’s about putting money into a family’s budget, improving their comfort and enjoyment of their home and improved health through a quality indoor environment — everybody wins.

I’m glad to see NACHI move into this arena to help consumers become better aware by providing home inspectors with training that will assist them in introducing this important topic to their clients. Hopefully, the information provided to them by their home inspector will encourage them to take the next step and contract a professional certified Building Analyst to help them to formulate and implement a cost effective and successful energy efficiency plan for their home.

Media says today that home sales nationally are 7.7% up in August from July. Here in KC, they are up only 1.3%.

I guess I will have to wait a month or two until that 7.7% gets “revised”.

I hope the rest of you are doing some business. Not much happening here unless you are $199. Not me.

http://www.reeceandnichols.com/pages/market-trends/market-trends-kc

If I’m reading the graph correctly… There’s a 1.8% increase in Kansas City home sales from last month, and a 22.4% increase in home sales from the same month 1 year ago.
KansasCity-Home-Sales-InterNACHI.jpg

Corrected. Home sales, IMHO, are not what is published. I hear in Chicago, over 40% of homes that are for sale are foreclosures. Home sales here are up from same month a year ago, but still way lower than normal. I hope it comes around soon.

Gary just because a home is a foreclosure does not mean no home inspection? I do probably 40% of my inspections are either a foreclosure or a short sale and “AS IS”. my clients (the buyer) still wants to know the condition of the home to see if they want the as is or should they keep on looking. In fact because of the AS IS factor I am seeing a rise in my repeat client inspections. Several of my clients have me inspect 1,2 or even 3 properties before they decide on the right one.

Also if things are slow, try pushing some ancillary products like Radon and Mold Testing? Maintenance/safety inspections…

Just because NEW HOME sales are slow or down doe not mean properties are not selling.

Jim

Good suggestions. I have been doing radon and termite with inspections for almost 10 years. I also offer Elder care home checks, child safety checks, home energy saving assesements.

Ever since joining NACHI and becoming a CMI in 2008, my inspections have fallen by half. Perhaps the economy has something to do with it, but IMHO, more of a problem is that now I know more, do more, so agents are no longer suggesting me, and want a soft, basic Kansas SOP’s only inspection provided by other inspectors (who are mostly ASHI) for $249, or even less.

“You are buying the home AS IS anyway, so why get an inspection? The home is needing repairs, so the inspection fee that you are saving can go towards the repairs”.

Sad what the mind-set is nowdays.

The following article came out yesterday. Utility companies are seeing a decline in useage, not only from energy savings, but from foreclosed homes that have had their service stopped. Revenues are down. Only way to raise revenue is to raise rates. No matter what energy savings you get, you will not save money. Utility companies have to pay other fees, which are listed in the article. Why pay for an energy assessment, to save energy, only to have rates increase?

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/21/3158931/home-foreclosures-play-role-in.html

Gary I do understand what you are saying. It sounds like in your area the general public put way to much credibility in what the used house salesmen are shoveling them. Don’t they realize the REA has only 1 agenda, and that is to close the deal at any cost. The clients need to be educated in that fact. They need to open their eyes :shock: and see the light, then go out and get the absolute best home inspection they can so they know exactly what they are about to spend a fortune on as one of their biggest if the biggest investment of their lives.

We need to start a National Public Awareness Program to educate the public on just how useless the REA is in the Inspection process. This is not about licensing or not, it is about Rea’s sticking their uneducated noses into a business they have no right or background to be in, as well as a naive public (clients) that don’t realize this.

Jim

To a potential client, your website is a sample of what you and your report are going to be like.

The right website can generate you many thousands of dollars in inspection business.

You only get one chance to make a good first impression. You need a website that reflects that understanding—and one that doesn’t un-sell your inspection services.

spread the word about any used home salesman suggesting NOT to get a home inspection. Lets weed them out. Locally I see those kind of agents suffering while others that truly care about clients are thriving. It takes time but it will come around.

https://www.trendmls.com/Default.aspx

Home sales here
just 1/3 to 1/4 of what they were from 2002 thru 2006…

April (2002 - 2006 Average) Closings from that time period were 1200 - 1600 (for same market area compared) …

This year