Attic access doors

Can anyone tell me where, if any,a code that address attic doors to dwelling. Do they need to be fire rated? I found hollow core wood with rubber weather strip.

Yes, they do.

The only access that needs a fire rating would be if there is an access to an attic over the garage where there is no fire barrier between the house attic and the garage attic. Sheetrock does fine in that case. If it’s a drop down stair, then it has to be fire rated or sheathed in metal or sheetrock. That’s my understanding.

What if there is a natural gas water heater in the attic space?

I suggest returning to your cashier job before you really screw up this profession or get sued. GET EDUCATED BEFORE YOU DO ANY MORE INSPECTIONS!!! No you don’t have to know it **all **but give me a break!

Why the inspection industry gets a bad rep.
IMO

1 Like

Lay off the guy, he is just asking questions. That how things are learned. This is not an ASHI message board where newbies can belittled.
We will wait until he becomes a more seasoned poster before we will start criticizing him.:twisted:
Hang in there, NACHI newbie!

Well, you sure came out firing with your first post there Brandon. You might want to talk to Billy B about that. Apparently Conald’s question is not as naive as we might imagine. Here we have two seasoned, qualified inspectors differing on a response. One says Yes and one says No (with qualifications and explanations). Personally, I think one responded before fully thinking thru his answer but that’s just me. :slight_smile:

and others!!!

ASHI doesn’t have exclusive rights on the belittling of others. Anyone can be belittled on any message board. It’s not the Association, it’s the individual.

It appears that “Brandon” came here to do just what he/she did, and I suspect he/she has nothing more, or simply nothing better, to contribute.

Generally, the access cover is not required to be rated. However, there are exceptions for garage area access points and multi-family dwellings.

Brandon,
Dude or dudet as it may be, take a chilll pill.:smiley:

You can do that. What do you want to about it specifically? Is that question related to your first post?

Here is some information that should be of some use to you.

2006 International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings
Part III – Building Planning and Construction.

Chapter 8, Roof Ceiling Construction
Section R-807 Attic Access

ATTIC ACCESS
R807.1 Attic access.
Buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction shall have an attic access opening to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2) and have a vertical height of 30 inches (762 mm) or more.

The rough-framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30 inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in a hallway or other readily accessible location. A 30-inch (762 mm) minimum unobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be provided at some point above the access opening.

See Section M1305.1.3 for access requirements where mechanical equipment is located in attics.

2006 International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings
Part V -Mechanical

Chapter 13, General Mechanical System Requirements.
Section M-1305 Appliance Access.

M-1305.1 appliance access for inspection, service and replacement.
M-1305.1.3 Appliances in Attics

M1305.1.3 Appliances in attics.
Attics containing appliances requiring access shall have with an opening and a clear and unobstructed passageway large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance, but not less than 30 inches (762 mm) high and 22 inches (559 mm) wide and not more than 20 feet (6096 mm) long when measured along the centerline of the passageway from the opening to the appliance.

The passageway shall have continuous solid flooring in accordance with Chapter 5 not less than 24 inches (610 mm) wide. A level service space at least 30 inches (762 mm) deep and 30 inches (762 mm) wide shall be present along all sides of the appliance where access is required.

The clear access opening dimensions shall be a minimum of 20 inches by 30 inches (508 mm) by 762 mm), where such dimensions are large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance.
Exceptions:
1. The passageway and level service space are not required where the appliance can be serviced and removed through the required opening.

2. Where the passageway is unobstructed and not less than 6 feet (1829 mm) high and 22 inches (559 mm) wide for its entire length, the passageway shall be not more than 50 feet (15 250 mm) long.

2006 International Fire Code
Chapter 6, Building Services and Systems

Section 605 Electrical Equipment Wiring and Hazards.
605.3 Working Space and Clearance
2. Access openings into attics or under-floor areas which provide a minimum clear opening of 22 inches (559 mm) by 30 inches (762 mm).

[size=3]There are several current or Retired Code Officials that post here on a regular basis.

Do not be afraid to ask questions… We are more than happy to help.:stuck_out_tongue: [/size]

Hey Mom!!

You been on vacation or something? Hope you’re not ill!! You haven’t been around much and I’m starting to miss the “Luvin”.

Many kisses back!!!

Signed
Your delinquent boy,
Brian.

Attic access doors 8/8/08 6:13 PM Brian, You are a total & complete CHICKENSHI`T/ AZZ-HOLE/ SCUMBAG / JACKAZZ! Signed, Luv Mom !

I did not read…nor do I read, today, the original post limiting the question to a single family residence. He said “dwelling”. Multi-family dwellings do require fireblocking at ceiling penetrations, do they not?

You can have four apartments at the upper floor of a single building with a shared attic. These apartments are certainly “dwellings” as described in the original question,