Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 2/17/06, 4:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Broken Window seals

A question was asked about a good method for checking windows for broken seals (before it begins to fog up) Harold Wiese (NW Florida Chapter) shared with me a tip years ago and it works perfectly and anyone can afford it. I always carry water and sodas in a small ice chest. If you find a window that is questionable and you can't determine if the seal is broken, take a piece of ice and hold it against the glass for a minute or so and if the seal is broken, the moisture inside between the two panes will condense on the inside of the glass. It will usually only stay that way for a short time after the ice has been removed especially if the window is in the sun or it is a hot day. I usually snap a picture for my files and move on. Don't eat the ice after you are done. Its now nasty.

Tags
broken, glass, ice, inside, window