Build A House (ae)(af) footing

The basic first step for a foundation is the footing.
This will support the weight of the entire structure.
Why is it done separately? Why not pour the foundation walls at the same time?

http://www.chicagolandhomeinspection.com/id62.html (alternate images)

Don’t you use re bar in your footings?

Out my way the footing get poured and re bar rods inserted into the concrete to dry. The next day it gets inspected and the foundation wall forms are built and poured.

Here’s a couple of the walls.

Hi Pete,

I know this is Bob’s show, but I know he won’t mind if I chime in once or twice. Around here we use keyways to keep the bottom of the foundation wall from sliding off of the footing. I am sure the rebar will work just fine, but as usual, the almighty dollar prevails and a keyway is cheaper than rebar. That is the groove that is shown in Bob’s picture. Usually they are not that clean.

Bob, you asked why they don’t pour them at the same time. You would have to box the top of the footing to keep the concrete from coming out since the walls are thinner than the footing. In doing so, air would be trapped and there is no way to confirm that the concrete fully filled the void. Another reason is removing forms from inside corners is a pain in the *&^.

Hi chuck…This is great stuff and exactly what I am hoping to accomplish.
You may have missed out on my other threads but this is a mini -forum on building a house and you contributed the way I hope for from all members who see these pics.
It was not a real question as having you as a teacher taught me to continue educating myself and others.(Good job.)
For anyone who does not know .Chuck was my educational instructor.

Good pics.

Almost always never that clean. What’s even worse is the lack of keys or rebar in some new construction, all too common.

Thanks for posting these pictures as construction goes along. This is great educational stuff for those that have never experienced new construction.

This is great stuff, Bob, and a valuable service you are providing. Are you posting this on Localism.com?

Okay, This is great, where do I find the pic’s for (ac) & (ad), I have seen (ab). Is this going to be like a treasure hunt to find pictures?

Hi Bob, just thought it would be interesting to show how things are done in different parts of the country, Don’t want to interfere, hope you don’t mind.

We started framing and I have some good pictures of how I insulate floors over an inaccessible crawl space, I can post if you would like to see them or if you want to keep this about your project that’s fine too.

All good info. for are members though!

Hi Pete …sorry I did not get back sooner but your got me so mad that…
Nah just kidding, sure great idea ,this is all about seeing the guts of what is inside the things we inspect.
We are doing a visual non destructive inspection,and sometimes there are cases where we lose tract of the big picture in how things interact.
Please post and explain why the crawlspace is not accessible

Rebar in footings is not required under the International Residential Code.

Keyways are not there to replace rebar in walls. Keyways are used for poured concrete walls to help the walls resist lateral forces at the bottom.

Rebar is not required in foundation walls that will be as shallow as shown in the original pictures.

Hi Bob, Thanks, the crawl space I mentioned is over a breezeway with no bulkhead or access from the basement.

I have developed a system to ensure proper R value plus make sure the insulation stays, this also provides a protective barrier for the fiberglass.

I strap the bottoms of the joists, then rip 1" foam insulation to fit between the joists and then add R-30 fiberglass, the result is a R-35 floor, here are some pic"s

would look forward to seeing a few more pics with detail on the framing attachment

It is probably wise to check local codes before deciding to go rebarless. Some areas, mine included require rebar in footings and stem walls, regardless of height.

About the only time footings are poured along with everything else is on slabs where a monolithic pour is allowed.

Hi Bob, we are standing walls on Monday, what did you think of the insulation in the floor?

No doubt.

And I’m still waiting for relliot to tell us under which building codes this house is being constructed so we can have a valid starting point for discussion regarding this dwelling.

The project I’m building is under the IRC 2000, but we sometimes exceed it.

In NH many towns use different codes so you have to talk to the building dept. to see what their using, it is getting better though.

Reply to homebild (is there another name as I don"t see it on your profile)
Just go by national codes.however I may have missed any previous requests.
This is Illinois ,Harwood hts County of Cook if that is what you are wondering.
When looking at this stuff we most likely should not be concerned with local codes.If you have something specific I will look into it.

I believe the whole concept behind Bobs idea is to show how a house is built from the foundation up to the roof and not an educational course on code compliance.

That in itself would be very difficult due to the amount of codes used throughout the country.

My work is basically in 2 or 3 counties and the codes could come from 3 different books or a combination of them and let’s not forget life safety which takes president over any code.