What could be possibly be wrong with a brand new home?

Hello -

The home I bought in Washington state is spanking brand new.

Quality of construction and materials looks awesome.

Still need an inspection? What are some of things that could be wrong with a new home?

You have to remember that MOST of the time there is a job foreman present to watch the sub contractors. But not always. I have run into a $1.5 million home with their siding buried by the new concrete patio. I have run into million dollar homes with no hot water in one of their 5 showers. Forgot to hook it up. I have run into a number of new homes that had modified / cut trusses.

Do you need an inspection? Darn right. Everything can look shiny on the outside.

I used to think " Are you nuts?" when I got a call to inspect a new or nearly new home. I don’t anymore. I have found some of the most frightening things in new / newer homes such as missing cap stone on a chimney, sump pump pipe that terminated with an open end inside the basement, electrical panel ground clamp on the cold water pipe of a hot water tank (house was plumbed with plastic), furnace exhaust ( A.B.S.) joints unglued … . . . . . . . :shock: </IMG>

I recently inspected a $1.3M new home. Here’s some of the things I found…

• Jacuzzi tub leaked profusely into the basement. Of course it made testing the sump pump very easy.
  • Shoddy work on the roof, with numerous small holes, surface nails, and torn shingles.
  • Multiple cracks in basement foundation. One which was “fixed” leaked out of the top of the foundation like a small fountain. One other leaked as well.
    *] No weep holes on the brick veneer. (Upon re-inspection found “drilled” weep holes, that were only about an inch deep. - The person doing the repair “faked” it.)
    That was just some of the things that were memorable…So, you tell me. Thin an inspection might be a good idea?

Thanks for the insight guys.

Just an FYI…the house was stick built by a guy who is obviously a professional builder…and happens to live right next door in one of his custom built homes.

But I see your point.

I am beginning to hate inspecting completed new homes because all you can see is the visible skin of the place. I’m telling people to call me when they have the inkling of wanting a new home. Then I can help them avoid problems from the get-go!!

Litigations on new homes I have done recently include:

(1) $800,000 with severe rot after 7-8 months plus will not heat/cool/dehumidify properly

(2) 1.5 million home 1 year warranty inspection; house needed $35-45,000

(3) $600,000 home with a host of problems from the worst installed ventilation system (HRV and bath fans) I have ever seen to failing/poor interior/exterior finishes.

I inspect a lot of never been lived in homes and you would be amazed at the items found improperly installed. The most amazed usually is the builder. I highly recommened you find an expercienced home inspector and have it inspected. How do you find an expercienced home inspector Quiz him.

My answer to the question would require a dissertation, and I really don’t feel like going back to school. So I’ll just go with one story.

There is a national builder here who regularly wins “Builder of the Year” Awards in the County. I can tell you exactly what problems I’ll find just by knowing that they built it and having the address. Based on my own contracting experience in Texas, I know that rarely do city inspectors inspect everything in every home in every subdivision. In the subdivisions here that were built by this builder, I know that every fourth home is perfect, whereas the other three have cut trusses in the attic where they installed the horizontal furnace, Watts 210 regulators on the water heater albeit without a relief valve being installed, concrete poured all around the rear (where it’s not visible to the inspector just driving down the street) about an inch higher than the stucco “weep rail” (“weep screed” in some areas of the country), exhaust vents terminating in the attic (exterior roof vent hoods are too expensive and, quite frankly, ugly), etc.