Good definition for the word MARGINAL

I dont like the wording i have for marginal in my report, wanting to change, thought i would see some ideas.

Give us an example where you would use marginal?

In my report i have satisfactory, marginal, and poor. In my report overview it gives the definitions, just looking for better wordage

I don’t like the rating system… but fair comes to mind.

insignificant
minimal
minor
negligible
bordering
low
peripheral

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/another-word-for/marginal.html

Green, yellow, red :smiley:

What is wrong with…
Good
Satisfactory
Fair
Poor
FUBAR :smiley:
?

:lol:

The OP doesn’t operate in FL! :razz:

God one JJ !:smiley:

Simply most rating systems are subjective opinions of the rater. Is “marginal” good or bad, acceptable or not - and in the “opinion” of rater, or by another independent set of eyes?

Exactly, which is why in my reports it’s either defective or it’s not.

Would marginal be AFUBAR?:mrgreen:

What is wrong with…
Good
Satisfactory
Fair
Poor
FUBAR :grin:
?

Good, Fair and poor should not be used as descriptions, Satisfactory is borderline as they are adjectives that can be interpreted differently by everyone.

However FUBAR is definitely and expectable term. There is no questioning it’s meaning. :smiley:

My definitions…

When an item or system is said to be in “good” condition, this means it is in above average
condition in relation to other items of a similar age, type, or style of construction.

When an item or system is said to be in “satisfactory” condition, this means that it is in
average condition. The item or system should give generally satisfactory service within the
limits of its age excluding any defects or potential problems noted during the inspection or in
the report.

When an item or system is said to be in “fair” condition, this means it is in average to below
average condition in relation to other items or systems of a similar age, type, or style of
construction, excluding any defects or problems noted during the inspection or in the report.

When an item or system is said to be in “poor” condition, this means it is below average in
relation to other items of a similar age, type, or style of construction and may need repairs or
other attention immediately or in the near future as recommended in the report.

Here is mine;
G Good; No major problems observed
M Marginal; Minor problems observed but component still functional
D Defective; Problem that should be corrected immediately to preserve occupant safety and or to prevent further structural damage.
N Not observed, Not present; component is missing, or may be present but inspection failed to find it
NI Not Inspected; Component is present but was not inspected

IMO, anything can be used in your report as long as it is properly and accurately defined. If not, then yes, it would be subjective, but then again, isn’t the inspection/report?