Double tapped breaker

They make breakers that can be double tapped. I don’t think this is one!

Tandem breaker but double tap can’t be right, right?

Cutler-Hammer
BD2020
A2020
Types BRD & A
HACR Type

This is what to look for:

twowirebreaker (Small).jpg

Both wires should be the same gauge.

So is that a yes or no to my question? :slight_smile:

It is wrong…

That’s what I thought too! :slight_smile: Thanks for the help!

Thats is a double tap & I call em out every time.

It’s hard to tell from the picture for sure but it looks like the wire at the very top of your picture is a 14 guage wire on a 20 amp breaker.

Some CH tandem breakers allow 2 conductors per pole. From the picture I can’t really tell, but it looks like there are two wire ‘saddles’ that would imply to me that two conductors are allowed (in certain wire sizes).

If you don’t call it out and breakers open the circuit when devices are used, you may have liability as having missed the double tap, I always mention them in the report.

Also you need to determine if that panel itself can even have tandom breakers within it to begin with. The panels will say or show in the schematic if tandoms are allowed and if not you should not add them to a panel. Many times we see a 40 circuit panel with a 2-pole main breaker meeting the 42 breaker maximum requirement only to have a bunch of tandoms in it. This violates the listing of the panelboard which is designed for a certain number of breakers and circuits only to have it exceeded by tandoms that are not supposed to go in the panel. Yes they fit but no they are not supposed to be their type senerio.